De Walt Drill/driver makes screeching noise!

My DeWalt drill

Has 2 speeds. Slow speed works fine, but in the high speed position it just makes a screeeching sound (the chuck does turn, but only slowly).

It is fixable? I plan to take it apart tomorrow... :-)

Reply to
dave

Sounds like a stripped gear.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

With quite a number of the dewalt drills they will flog you a new gearbox complete for £30 to £40 quid...

(having said that, you may be able to find the whole drill "body only" (i.e. no batts) for about that)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, does sound that way. Some even use crappy plastic gears made of some kind of carbon fibre. I only know since someone I know took a dead one apart. The gearwheel in question had actually split from the centre out. I wondered after seeing that programme on composites and aircraft the other day whether any actual long term testing of these new materials stability was ever done at all! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff