New drill/driver

With the Father's Day sales going on it is time for me to buy a new cordless drill. I want a drill driver but haven't kept up with the differences between the major brands. I am not a professional woodworker but with a farm there are plenty of times a cordless drill comes in handy.

I would like some opinions on:

What brands to consider or reject

What type of battery

What voltage

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Reply to
athiker

snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote in news:efdhp9dg7a4dgi6ikicie6fi4gg138j0gq@

4ax.com:

Go with Lithium Ion, probably in the 18V range. The Lithium Ion batteries retain a charge for quite a while, both in use and while waiting to be used.

I do like my Makita. Panasonic has/had a great reputation. (The one I bought for my mom reminded me of a tribble with the noises it made. Perhaps there's something to that.)

It might be useful to pick up and hold the tools before purchasing. I love the way my Makitas are balanced, even with the bigger batteries that I bought later.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Lithium Ion is the most popular and generally best option today.

Voltage depends on intended use. The more volts, the more wight. It you only ever drive 1" or 2" screws, why heft a heavy 24V drill every time.

I really like my 15.6V Panasonic. I also have the Bosch quick change adapter and use it for both screw and drill bits.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Perhaps you should tell us what you expect out of the drill first. So far every drill fits your description.

Reply to
Leon

I occasionally have a need to drive 3" screws or drill through some tough lumber. Sometimes I need to drill with an augar thriough a 6 - 8 inch post.

My biggest concern in the past was that the batteries ran down because I didn't use them often enough to charge them every day or two.

Reply to
athiker

--------------------------------------------------------- This is a comment on cordless technology rather than a specific device.

Mid 90's, used a DeWalt 18 VDC drill to drive a 3" Bi-Metal hole saw thru

3/4" of knitted glass and epoxy.

Unless your post is ironwood, wouldn't give your task a 2nd thought, and then only momentarily.

ION batteries are the way to go with today's technology.

As far as brands, I'll leave that to others for a recommendation.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm not certain you could call it the most popular. It's the most recent and that makes it the most wanted. But, that also makes it the most expensive. If cost is a big concern to someone, then NiCads are cheaper. "best option" depends on certain conditions.

Reply to
none

As many have commented, Li-ion batteries. When stored charged and not under extreme temperatures they can hold a charge for several months. You should probably stay with a drill rated greater than 12 volt. Better brands that I have owned would be Festool, Panasonic, Makita.

Reply to
Leon

Would not even consider Nicads any longer. First they don't hold a charge loosing 10% of their charge per day. Second, cadmium is really toxic to the env. Lithium is not toxic by comparison.

Third, The lithiums are priced about the same now... ABOUT, not the same but about. If you consider how long the Lithium's last compared to Nicads in regular use, it's a win to the Lithiums.. more longevity for the same job.

Reply to
woodchucker

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:07:23 -0400, woodchucker

Don't know about your NiCads, but the two DeWalt XRP 18v NiCad batteries I've got are the ones that came with the six tool set I bought over five years ago. They charge properly and work fine.

Sure, Li-Ion are better, but they and the tools they power cost more.

Reply to
none

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:07:23 -0400, woodchucker

Sorry, can't agree. Two DeWalt 18v NiCads go for $99 right now in Home Depot. The nearest comparable 20v DeWalt lithiums are $149. To me anyway, that's not "about".

I do agree that lithiums are superior in almost every way, but they do cost more, at least for now.

Reply to
none

I'll second the Ridgid drills. Mine have held up great and perform as good or better than any cordless I've used. The LiIon batts do not discharge in storage.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You keep defending your purchase of a terrible, outdated technology. You bought them, ok, we get it. But don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

The only people who will try to tell you NiCads are fine are those who bought them and either don't know the difference or are suffering buyer's remorse.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:07:05 -0500, -MIKE-

GFY mikey.

Reply to
none

Sounds like you need one of these:

Looks like it can handle augering through an 8" post.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Pretty hard to go wrong with an 18v Milwaukee with lithium ion batteries. I use the heck out of my cordless drills as a licensed communications contractor, and I've let the magic smoke out of a few drills cordless and otherwise in the last couple decades.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

While I do like my Makita 18v lithium's, gotta admit that the most impressive bit of drilling/driving out of a cordless I've ever seen was done using a Milwaukee 1/2 cordless, on 3500 psi concrete, to drill holes 1/2x 7 for Simpson Titen anchors ... and then driving them in.

Reply to
Swingman

As I write, Lowes has two on sale for $99...one is Dewalt, the other Hitachi. Both are 1/2", 20v, both come with two batteries (lithium) and charger.

I would be content with either, you probably would too.

Hell, I am VERY happy with my $79 3/8" 12v Black & Decker. Lots here denigrate B&D but I've never had a problem with any of their tools, either pro or consumer grade. The 12v does 3" screws no problem. Lithium is definitely the way to go...hold charge well, charge quickly. One charge gets me maybe 200-250 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 screws. More voltage = more power.

Brand wise, I really don't think there is all that much difference among them anymore. A few - a very few - still maintain a better than average rep, Milwaukee for one, Makita for another.

Reply to
dadiOH

-MIKE- wrote in news:lncc67$tt2$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

The worst thing about NiCds is they can use a very simple charger, but only if you're careful. Most people (myself included) are not that careful when it comes to battery charging, so tend to cook the batteries.

I've mostly solved the problem by putting the charger on a timer that shuts off after the suggested recharge time is through.

Lithium Ion batteries are less tolerant (bad things happen when overcharged), so tend to have more sophisticated chargers. I can't say its always true, but one that shuts off when done is a nice thing. (For some reason, my Makita charger seems to discharge batteries left on it? Did they forget the diode?)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I was unable to find either online. Can you give me a link?

Reply to
athiker