New drill/driver

I don't know if this is the case with the Makita charger or not but "smart" charges have been around for many years. I do know that some chargers will discharge a battery before recharging to guard against the battery developing a memory.

Reply to
Leon

Utter nonsense. 10% per month, *maybe*, unless they're shorted (dendrites).

You're right about the rest.

Reply to
krw

Why only 12V? Higher is generally heavier but if I had only one drill/driver it would be 16V (or whatever they claim the voltage is).

Reply to
krw

Might wanna reread what I writ.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for all the advice. I looked at number of tools and finally bought a Porter Cable. Drill and battery carries a 3 year warranty.

The Ridig battery warranty sounded good but the drills locally were hard to find. The few at the big box stores were very pricey. Jim

Reply to
athiker

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:55:58 -0500, Leon

Well, aside from the fact that my Ni-cads still have usable life in them, the biggest advantage to Li-ion to me is their lesser weight for more power. I've got to admit, those Ni-cads powered tools of mine get pretty heavy awful quick.

I'm predicting ten years for equivalent powered batteries to be about the size of a thimble.

Reply to
none

"dadiOH" wrote in news:lnegde$1to$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

*snip*

That raises a good point. Get a set with a Drill and Impact Driver. Not only is it convenient to have a drill bit in one and a driving bit in the other, but the impact driver is a really good way to drive screws.

A set of 1/4" hex to socket adapters is useful as well. If you're working with carriage bolts that are a little long, a deep well socket makes installing the nut a piece of cake.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I own an earlier model of that Bosch and it's a great tool.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I certainly don't see a reason, just a statement.

Reply to
krw

I have two of them. Two batteries were the same price as the driver and the impact driver, so I bought a second pair. This is a steal, though. For $100, you get two $80 batteries, the drill and a charger.

Reply to
krw

Crap! I read that ten times (both last night and this morning) and still read it as "stay away". Can't even blame it on the (lack of) coffee.

Reply to
krw

I thought it was something like that but I couldn't remember.

Reply to
krw

Change subject line to "drill/drive[h]er"

Reply to
-MIKE-

Nope. Never happen. It is physics, and chemistry. It has to do with the electrons in the shells that are available to change place and be used as electricity. Even if you get all of them to change place with 100% efficiency (which will also never happen) there is a limit to the amount of charge you can get from a battery.

Reply to
Morgans

wrote

The guy I was working for had that line of tools. I loved them. The smaller battery is OK for running some screws in, but for heavy drilling or sawing, you want the 4000mAh pack, for length of run and higher pull of amps. Drilled 5/8th holes in 2x pressure treated, and ran portable skill saws and sawzalls all day long. Never had a lack of power. They also have a huge line of tools using the same system, all the way up to leaf blowers and weed eaters, to saws, jigsaws, sawzalls and impact drivers. That is a huge plus for me. Also have a charging station to charge a bunch of batteries at one time. You can't go wrong, IMHO. They truly are as tough as industrial/professional tools.

Now, would I take a Milwaukee line over these? You bet. Not anything else though, and not if I had to pay for it!

Reply to
Morgans

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 19:56:02 -0400, "Morgans"

Maybe under our current technology, but that can change. But, if we're both still alive in ten years and enough of my memory is intact, I'll email to say "told you so". :)

Reply to
none

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 21:13:52 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

No problem. I've email myself and dated it to go out in ten years. :)

Reply to
none

Not unless you're talking about something different than a battery. If we're talking batteries.... well, there's a reason the dry cell has barely changed in size in the last century.

Reply to
-MIKE-

A few here said about the same thing about the SawStop. It's just vaporware.....IIRC is what was said... LOL

Reply to
Leon

I'm thinking way too much stuff runs on a hand full of sizes.

Reply to
Leon