New Drill/Driver combo

I'm in the market for a new cordless drill and impact driver set and was wo ndering what todays gold standard was. I've been using Panasonic for years and really liked it, but they want like $90 for the 3.5amphr battery which are the historically the best part of the drill. So I'm going to go with Lithium Ion and all the bells and whistles and was hoping for input. Thank s much. JP

Reply to
JayPique

Well you did ask for the gold standard.

Wait for it, ....... Festool.

Here is what I have owned in the past.

Disston screw driver

2-Shil screw drivers Panasonic drill driver 2-DeWalt drill driver Mikita drill driver & impact driver Bosch impact driver , lithium ion 18 v..... I got this free some how or another and it was never my go to impact.

Festool T15-3

I got this drill for Christmas a year ago. I have not use either of my impact drivers since getting this drill, so far it has done every thing that I used my old impact drivers for. This drill is unlike any frill that I have ever used in the past.

When I first got it Festool had not yet come out with an impact driver and I was sure that I would get one to complement the drill. Now that Festool does actually have an impact/drill/ driver I am not sure if I will need one or not.

My T 15-3 was expensive, naturally, but did come with a Systainer case, charger, 2 lithium ion 15 volt battery packs, a bit driver, a right angle attachment, an eccentric chuck for tight spots, and a 1/2" drill chuck.

3year warranty on everything. The drill has an electronic clutch that turns off the motor and sounds a tone when the clutch setting has been reached. No more annoying slipping clutch sound when the clutch has engaged. I am very very happy with it.
Reply to
Leon

FIG strikes again ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I've been very pleased with the Ridgid R9600 Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit.

It comes with the "Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement. Free Batteries. Free Parts. Free Service. For Life."

When I got mine it was $179. It's now $200 but worth that and more IMO. Here's the review I posted after buying it.

-MIKE-

Thanks for your useful real world review of a real world product.

Reply to
tommyboy

wondering what todays gold standard was. I've been using Panasonic for yea rs and really liked it, but they want like $90 for the 3.5amphr battery whi ch are the historically the best part of the drill. So I'm going to go wit h Lithium Ion and all the bells and whistles and was hoping for input. Tha nks much.

I have the Makita 18v LI drill and driver set and am very pleased with it. Light weight, good battery life, fast recharge. LED lights illuminate work . One wish: adjustable torque on the driver. I've broken a couple of scre ws while driving into hard maple even after drilling a pilot hole.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

"Gramp's shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Have you tried driving the screws in at a lower speed? I'm just wondering if this might give the effect of lower torque while not actually reducing it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

s wondering what todays gold standard was. I've been using Panasonic for y ears and really liked it, but they want like $90 for the 3.5amphr battery w hich are the historically the best part of the drill. So I'm going to go w ith Lithium Ion and all the bells and whistles and was hoping for input. T hanks much.

. Light weight, good battery life, fast recharge. LED lights illuminate wo rk. One wish: adjustable torque on the driver. I've broken a couple of sc rews while driving into hard maple even after drilling a pilot hole.

I really hate the LED light on the drill. It's in the wrong spot, too clos e to the chuck so that it casts a shadow on the spot you want to see. I en ded up taping over it. It's better on the impact driver with it's much sho rter nose, but I hardly ever use the impact. I don't really like the impac t for woodworking type stuff because once it starts impacting there is no f eedback to your hand about how much resistance there is. In retrospect I'd rather have two of the drills and use one as the driver. I do like the dr ill in spite of the LED thing. With the small batteries it comes with ther e's plenty of life for shop use without it being heavy and it's got plenty of torque even on the high speed setting. Wish it had on board storage for bits, I made my own that attaches to where you put the belt clip.

Reply to
Leuf