Cordless combi drill/impact driver

I bought a cheap cordless combi drill recently.
An unexpected benefit was that it would work as a screw driver in impact mode. I'm not sure if this was intended behaviour but it seemed to work well. Unifortunately this drill broke recently.
So I'm looking for a replacement. The drill I had is discontinued so I can either get a cordless non combi/non impact replacement or buy some thing slightly more expensive.
However I'm a bit confused as combi drills are often sold with additonal impact drivers. Is it the case that most combi drills will not also work as an impact driver? In which case I won't bother with the combi as a cordless hammer drill action isn't important to me.
A hammer action drill and impact driver work in a completely different way. Hammer action produces vibrations in the longitudinal axis of the drill wh ilst an impact driver produces vibrations in the rotary axis. I am not awar e that any of the major manufacturers produce such a beast but I may be wro ng. It sounds like a bit of a mash up and because you preceded your descrip tion with the word "cheap" I am inclined to think it probably is. Neverthel ess post a link I would be interested to see such a device.
Richard
Tricky Dicky wrote:

Thank you and everyone else who replied.
An excellant response. I had indeed misunderstood the impact mechanism of an impact driver.
I suspect you are also correct about it being a mash up. Anyway, it seems clear that it is not a feature I should worry about.
Link as requested. <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
That is just a combi drill with hammer action, if you employ hammer action whilst trying to drive in screws all you will end up doing is knackering the screw head.
An impact driver is just a driver and is not used as a drill which is why they have a tool holder usually 1/4" and not a chuck.
Richard

And an excellent tool for shearing off drill bits.
--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 14:23:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Most hex bits are hopelessly vulnerable to breakage from an impact driver due to the shank often being merely glued into the hex base.
NT

An impact screw driver and a hammer drill work on an entirely different principle.
--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

On 22/03/2019 23:09, Billy wrote:

An impact drill hammers along the axis of rotation, ie its like driving a screw in with a hammer.
An impact driver hammers in the direction of rotation, ie. its impact action drives the screw around not into the material.
Impact drivers deliver a lot more torque to the screw than an equivalent sized drill.
On Friday, 22 March 2019 23:09:21 UTC, Billy wrote:

no.

you're not confusing hammer dilling with impact action are you?
NT