Thunderbird

Is there a way of displaying the message headers?

I have had a couple of possible delayed mails and would like to check when they were actually sent. (unless my solicitor was actually in the office on a Sunday evening:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

ctrl-U

Reply to
Andy Burns

  1. He may well have been.
  2. Some email programmes allow for timed email sending.**

** I sometimes get insomnia and work through the night. To avoid clients knowing I've been sending emails at 4 in the morning, I tell Outlook to delay sending the email until 8 or 9AM.

So, maybe your solicitor was working on this email during the week, but told Outlook to delay sending it until Sunday evening, so he can charge you time and a half. :)

Reply to
GB

'view spurce', Tim

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

CTRL + U

Reply to
John Rumm

Will that show it in a tree view?

Reply to
John Rumm

My word! Does it really take that much gobbledegook to send a mail 7 miles!

It was actually sent 11 minutes past 7pm on the Friday.

There is some blurb about *soft fail* dkim=fail but all well beyond my understanding!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some of that will be headers added by each mail transfer agent that touch the message in transit. Each adds its own couple of lines to the top of the message. So you should be able to read up through the chain of handling systems from the original message to the point of delivery into your mailbox.

BTW, the CTRL+U works on usenet posts as well - often handy for spotting things to filter in the posts of the less useful contributors :-))

Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) is one of a number (also see DMARC and SPF) of email authentication schemes. Its designed to allow one to prove that an email came from who it said it did using a cryptographic signature - basically helping to ensure real mail gets delivered and is not classed as spam. It also means that you can't later repudiate an email if it was signed - so its like proof of posting for email as well.

Not that many systems implement it, as it is blinkin complicated, and is tricky to setup. So the error is basically saying the email was not signed with a DKIM key and so can't be verified as authentic. Hence it had to treat it just like a normal email.

This might help:

John Rumm

You should see how much guff microsoft's office365 servers add to a message these days!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Delayed email seems to be a bit common of late. I sent three requests to an email list and nothing came back, then yesterday all three returns turned up together but dated the same date as I had requested them. This seems to me to suggest that they were stored somewhere off line then sent on when they put whatever it was back on line. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes. Solicitors usually refuse service by e-mail but I suppose they could opt for a higher level of authentication for their own output.

I'm still using Turnpike for News. Display headers is a menu option.

Thanks all

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On 23/03/2019 03:29, John Rumm wrote: <snip>

Solicitors have felt under pressure to try to stop payment redirection fraud so the use of DKIM in and around them may follow from that.

Reply to
Robin

That is what I was whinging about. Two full screens worth.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> posted

Is Gmail involved?

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

In message snipped-for-privacy@none.demon.co.uk>, The Marquis Saint Evremonde snipped-for-privacy@bastille.com writes

Not on this occasion. The problem has not recurred so it may just have been initial teething problems with new BB provider.

Reply to
Tim Lamb