Confirm, old fuel

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can. To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove it my petrol car when I have a full tank. The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its leftovers from a small generator.

Reply to
ss

yeah. Bung it in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is it petrol? Are you sure? Not red diesel?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Just how long ago was leaded on sale? It is leaded, perhaps it should be better given to a museum?

Reply to
Fredxx

I wouldn't waste my time taking a litre of fuel to a recycle unit. What do you hope to achieve? At the very worst you can wash oil based paint brushes out with it or save it for future use.

Reply to
Cynic

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

+1 fwiw
Reply to
tabbypurr

Evidently if was withdrawn from sale in 2000. I'm pretty sure I've got bottles and other containers in the garage a /lot/ older than that!

The OP didn't say how old his fuel was.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I wouldn't risk it if you don't know what it is - it could be diesel or paraffin. If it's 2-stroke mix, your engine might not like the oil in it

- even diluted, as it will be.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It is petrol I just dont know if oil was added to make the 2 stroke mixture although the reddish colour tends to say it was.

The dilution to the car will be approx 1 litre to 32 litres of petrol. Of which only a fiftieth of the litre would be oil.

Reply to
ss

As the saying goes, there's no fuel like an old fuel.

Reply to
Richard

Tip it in the tank of a diesel car (owned by someone who has annoyed you).

Reply to
Andrew

AVgas still available ??

Reply to
Andrew

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to drain out the tank last autumn.

Reply to
Andrew

Ive started lawnmower up to 2 yeras in stoirage same fuel. Likewas motorhome.

Not optimal, but works

Or tip ina few liters of fresh

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have *never* drained the fuel from my B&S lawnmower at the end of the season and it has always started in the spring with a couple of extra pulls. Been doing this for at least 20 years now.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Should have drained it down & made sure no fuel in carburetor. The volatiles added to aid starting have evaporated off. Petrol should be stored in a closed container (gas tight)to stop this from happening

Reply to
harry

Does that not depend on the way it dilutes in the tank though?

Give it to a local firm of gardeners. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Likewise. Chainsaws can need a carb clean but not always.

Reply to
Tim Lamb