Confirm, old fuel

I always drain the fuel from garden machinery before the winter or other period of little use. There is an aditive you can buy to make starting easier after prolonged inactivity. Getting rid of old fuel is more of a problem now that both are cars are diesel. Fortunately my modern grass cutters do start much more easily than the old ones. Maybe some sot of electronic ignition.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Saving them for a riot that never happened?

Reply to
ARW

I never drain the fuel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim+ formulated the question :

Same here with my B&S powered lawn tractor. I ran it for the first time a couple of weeks ago to cut grass, then again yesterday. Started at the first attempt, as I have come to expect.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It used to be common practice to put a little petrol in diesel vehicles in winter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do you not know what the engine is that it was used for?

Chuck it on a bonfire (without setting yourself alight).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Probably depends on how hot your shed gets.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Almost impossible IMBE

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The flame goes up the stream of fuel faster than it falls down. So you'd be holding a flaming container in what would be left of your hand.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good slow motion demo

Andrew Gabriel

My Honda started 2nd pull... OTOH it's been in a warm dry garage all winter, and it's only 3 years old.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That's why you use an open container (mug, paint kettle) and chuck it rather than pouring it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I think that lies on the spectrum somewhere twixt ?exceedingly brave? and ?exceedingly foolish?. At no point is it a good idea.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I agree that as a general rule it's something you just shouldn't do unless you're wearing appropriate flame protection, and have someone standing by with an extinguisher, but I seem to have got away with it on multiple occasions. Someone should do a video demonstrating what you can get away with and what you really shouldn't try. Maybe petrol vapour vs. garden shed would be fun too. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Go on then. Waiting patiently for video...

Reply to
Richard

The best redneck vs petrol videos involve pouring lots of it over your bonfire, then giving the vapour plenty of time to spread (while you put the can back in the shed, fetch your lighter, swig your beer etc) before lighting it up, e.g.

Andy Burns

I would only use it in a lawnmower or similar. No need to go to a disposal place, stick it in the garden in a shallow open tray and let it evaporate.

Reply to
newshound

It has been available in about half dozen locations far more recently than that and may still be.

I last passed this place about 18 months ago.

Presumably there must be a reasonable customer base with old classic vehicles around these rare places.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I had that one in mind - I imagine it was a fairly warm and windless day, he did seem to use more petrol than he really needed. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Lots of info here on availability. It is very expensive (4 quid a litre)

Or buy your own Tetra-Ethyl Lead here

Ethanol in modern fuel also tends to cause issues with fuel system seals and hoses that would otherwise survive for decades.

--

Reply to
The Other Mike