Home-made fuel filter for petrol strimmer?

Hi folks, The filter on my pertrol strimmer is very old and blocked solid. A new part costs an arm and a leg and would have to come from China, Japan or the US.
I'm guessing it would be simple to jerry-rig it by fixing a small piece of cloth, sponge or something over the vacant filter housing, which dangles in side the fuel tank, in the end of the neoprene fuel line. But obviously, it 's got to be something that won't dissolve in petrol or 50:1 mix. Would mic ro-fiber do it? Or a piece of household sponge? Anything else you can sugge st?
Thank you,
Al
On 6/16/2017 7:53 PM, Al-W wrote:

Just cut the fuel line and add an in-line filter, available in various sizes from eBay or from car/bike shops if you don't mind the silly price.
Or for that matter one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Strimmer-Trimmer-Brush-Cutter-Hose-Pipe-with-Fuel-Petrol-Tank-Filter/182577038233?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3Dc4ab296683fb4d669dd88bef3f252a96%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26
£1 from China, £2-50 from the UK
On Friday, 16 June 2017 19:53:29 UTC+1, Al-W wrote:

rt costs an arm and a leg and would have to come from China, Japan or the U S.

f cloth, sponge or something over the vacant filter housing, which dangles inside the fuel tank, in the end of the neoprene fuel line. But obviously, it's got to be something that won't dissolve in petrol or 50:1 mix. Would m icro-fiber do it? Or a piece of household sponge? Anything else you can sug gest?

coffee filter?
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 8:25:20 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I actually have a generic one on or der now, but am looking for a quick fix to tide me over until it arrives. C offee filter paper occurred to me, but as I don't have any in the house, I decided to use a bit or "wet wipe" because I recall that they too, don't di sintegrate when wet, and are more malleable/shapeable than coffee filter ma terial.
Al
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 11:53:24 -0700 (PDT), Al-W

Pull the old one off and use one for a stihl or husqvarna chainsaw.
AJH
On 16/06/17 19:53, Al-W wrote:

just buy a standard 'clunk' with a filter and attach it to that fuuel tube
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
After serious thinking Al-W wrote :

You could filter the fuel before it enters the tank.
On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 9:39:46 AM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Thanks, I guess that's true, but knowing my luck, a bit of crud would still find it's way into the jets somehow. My wet-wipe fix is working a treat: t wo layers shaped over the head of the fuel filter housing, and held on by a small zip-lock cable tie. Now I wish I hadn't ordered the real McCoy! ;-)
Al
On Saturday, 17 June 2017 11:41:08 UTC+1, Al-W wrote:

ll find it's way into the jets somehow. My wet-wipe fix is working a treat: two layers shaped over the head of the fuel filter housing, and held on by a small zip-lock cable tie. Now I wish I hadn't ordered the real McCoy! ;- )

If it's a distance sale you may be able to cancel.
NT
Could one perhaps find some chemical that could remove the clogging material itself? What is it likely to be? I don't recall many old lawn mowers having much of a fuel filter other than a bit of mess to stop big lumps of debris. Brian
--
----- -
On Friday, 16 June 2017 19:53:29 UTC+1, Al-W wrote:

rt costs an arm and a leg and would have to come from China, Japan or the U S.

f cloth, sponge or something over the vacant filter housing, which dangles inside the fuel tank, in the end of the neoprene fuel line. But obviously, it's got to be something that won't dissolve in petrol or 50:1 mix. Would m icro-fiber do it? Or a piece of household sponge? Anything else you can sug gest?

Before the advent of paper filters, the traditional material used was chamo is leather. Halfords.
On 17/06/2017 21:22, harry wrote:

And is often still used when refuelling light aircraft in the field from a jerry can. A piece of chamois leather is embedded in the funnel.
(again to the ng instead of just to Harry - apologies Harry. B...... thunderbird. Why is it you think just after you press send rather than just before was that a follow up or a reply. I will have to see about removing that reply button)
--
Chris B (News)

On 6/18/2017 10:46 AM, Chris B wrote:

Did that ages ago. Can't remember how, but it wasn't difficult. Just applies to Newsgroups, and it "sticks" through TB upgrades
:-)

I'd never have thought of chamois leather as being sufficiently porous to allow a liquid to flow through it. I suppose a liquid other than water won't cause the fibres to swell which would restrict its porosity.
I was going to suggest coffee filter paper.