Home-made engine-oil filter remover?

I was all set to change my car's oil filter today when I discovered that my filter wrench is not big enough. I live in a remote location, so what I'd normally do is order one by mail. Trouble is, due to Christma, I probably wouldn't get it until next Tuesday at the earliest.

Then I started thinking... If some oil filter removers consist of nothing more than a nylon belt and a cylinder of metal that a socket spanner fits into, maybe there is way of making one without too much aggro.

Has anyone done this successfully? Care to share your method? I'm already well equipped with with nylon luggage straps, long socket spanners and Araldite...

JakeD

Reply to
D. Dalton

Hi if you're feeling brave and have enough space poke a long screwdriver through it and twist. Messy though!

Reply to
Allan Mac

Yes. 6 layers of trouser denim to form the belt, heavily sewn together on a robust machine, and an L shaped bit of metal. Simple. More effective than anything you'll find in a motor accessories store. Sewing the folded over denim end where it wraps over the metal means sewing through 12 layers though, a challenge for any sewing machine, but just doable with something robust.

NT

Reply to
NT

That does work BUT actually any webbing strap that you can locate on a socket bar and wind up tight will do the job..as will those jar top openers you can get.

You SHOULD be able to unscrew with two hands as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Allan Mac wrote in news:596c0f37-9714-4a61-86ab- snipped-for-privacy@j10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com:

I've done that before. Unfortunately, with this vehicle, space is too cramped for that.

JD

Reply to
D. Dalton

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:jcvnpt$7f0$4 @news.albasani.net:

How do you stop the socket from slipping round inside the wrapped strap? I was thinking araldite, but I'm skeptical...

I've heard that before... It might even work in my case - except that there isn't room to get a decent-sized hand in.

JD

Reply to
D. Dalton

NT wrote in news:03fadbe4-d1a4-4ad9-a474- snipped-for-privacy@n39g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

I like the sound of the L-shaped bit of metal. If I could find something like that which wouldn't bend, I'd be happy. (You can probably tell I'm expecting this oil filter to be almost impossible to budge, can't you? ;-)

JD

Reply to
D. Dalton

just wind the two ends up tight.. or use something you can slot the webbing into.

That's a bugger

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you got one of those screwdriver/tommy bar/plug spanner things you get with e.g. Stihl chainsaws?

Or a box spanner with two holes in? thread cord through one and loop round filter, then inside and not..iuse other for tommy bar/screwdriver.

twist..

worst I ever did was when I cross threaded one and kept tightening it but the seal wasnt correct..I destroyed that one and used a socket set on the threaded bit that was left when Id carved off the whole filter body..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:jcvpf8$bgp$1 @news.albasani.net:

That's a good idea. I don't think I have any suitable-sized box spanners, but it might give me some other idea.

If I can't find anything to thread the strap-ends through, just using something flat might provide enough grip. An L-shaped or T-shaped bit of metal that won't bend under strain might work.. Or... I woder if a claw hammer would work (put the ends of the strap down inside the V of the claw and then wrap around a few times... I will give that a try tomorrow in the daylight.

JD

Reply to
D. Dalton

Never had to - mine are always hand tight.

Reply to
Clive George

Same method that will stop it slipping round the filter, friction and self tightening! You want a loop of webbing around the filter and the wrapped around a bar such as a box=spanner. Wind it up and when all the slack is taken up and the tension is sufficient the filter should be the least resistant part of the ensemble.

Reply to
djc

I think I have managed to do something with a couple of metres of tape, a 1/2" ratchet drive and a 4" extension bar to wrap it all on. Can't remember if I needed to lock the tape in place, or if it just worked because of the different sizes of things. Might have used the socket with a hole in to take a tommy bar to tie things to.

Reply to
Clive George