Impact driver Drill/Driver Kits

I noticed that Menards has this impact driver kit on sale for $229. Bosch 26618-01 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Impact Drill/Driver Kit

It's practically like getting 2 drills in one.

comes with 2 batteries (overkill for me).

Then there is the corded model: Makita 6952.

From what I understand, the only corded impact driver available.

A week ago, I could not even explain why I might want an "impact driver"!

Being the big spender, I came home from Menards with Bosch 24-tooth 7

1/4" "Framing" blade to try out, and the free (after rebate) T-shirt! : )

Now, who was it who is to blame for getting me started learning about "impact drivers"? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

We're good at spending everyone else's money here, and most people generally are happy with the new tool (but not necessarily the expendature.) *g*

I'd suggest looking for a two-tool kit. That way, you can chuck a drill bit in one and a driver bit in the other and just swap tools. It really is an efficient way to work. One thing to watch out for is sometimes the kits have the same drill or driver as the tool alone but it's only a few dollars more than just the tool.

You do need two batteries. The battery will die just when there's 1 or 2 screws left to drive to finish the project. Two batteries lets you finish the project. (I don't care if you have a 5 minute charger, swapping batteries between drill/driver is faster.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

>> It comes with 2 batteries (overkill for me).

Menard's has some damn fine sales on Bosch tools from time to time. The quality is great and the prices (on sale) are not to be believed.

I had picked up several of their reconditioned tools through my brother who is employed by another division of Robert Bosch. Even better prices.

This past weekend, SWMBO spotted a 18v 3/8" drill on sale for $99 (regular $149.00) that came with two li-ion batteries, case & charger and a rebate in the form of TWO additional batteries by mail. So... that gave me four batteries (already had another Bosch drill that takes the same batteries), another drill and charger for... Hell, the batteries alone sell for $80 each so $320 in batteries for $99... What's not to like?

Went back to pick something up yesterday and spied another deal. 12v li-ion drill/driver for $66. Yep... two batteries and charger that work with my small impactor and multi-tool.

Oh yeah, Bosch offers these with their "Pro Vantage" warranty. The whole kit and caboodle is warrantied for three years.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yes, I've been doing a lot of swapping of 3 bits between 2 drills (one a real cheapy), and I'm convinced that an extra drill wouldn't go to waste! I learned the same principle a while back for routers.

Cheers, Bill

One thing to watch out for is sometimes the

Reply to
Bill

I think you are right. I was just looking at this.

Bosch 18V Litheon Impactor & Drill/Driver CLPK232-181

It's impact driver appears to have the same perfomance as the other Bosch one I mentioned above (rated at 1500 in-pounds). In case anyone is interested, the previous single drill/impact driver also has a low-speed setting (3-modes in all).

I think that the 3-mode drill above violates Leon's "KISS" principle (too).

Bill

It really

Reply to
Bill

Do you remember looking at how fast we could seat screws by hand as some sort of "rite of passage" into manhood?

I mean there was some pride behind the blisters, right?

Now, it's just Zip, Ziip, Zeep!! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I noticed that Menards has this impact driver kit on sale for $229. Bosch 26618-01 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Impact Drill/Driver Kit

It's practically like getting 2 drills in one.

comes with 2 batteries (overkill for me).

Then there is the corded model: Makita 6952.

what I understand, the only corded impact driver available. ============================================================================

CW

I have (and am selling) the 26614 kit. I went to the lithium for a little bit lighter unit and the promised battery lifetime. The Bosch doesn't show a bit of battery depletion in 4 years. I had a client join me in building his deck and got to watch the Bosch keep right up with the Makita 141 I replaced it with. I love both machines/kits.

Then there is the corded model: Makita 6952.

Impactor thingies'll take LUG NUTS off, fer chrissake.

-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

----------------------- It's a deal if you need it.

OTOH, if you are just window shopping...................

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Puck's suggestion about leaning towards the 2-piece kit seems like good advice. "Need" is relative. I have a 10-Amp (Dewalt) drill, and I'm getting better at using it to drive deck screws, but I better understand it's shortcomings (as a driver) too--especially if one needs to remove a screw that it has stripped. I wouldn't mind having a "good" cordless driver too, especially one with a clutch--which neither of the selection above have, I think (I could be wrong about the one in the 2-piece kit).

Now that I think I am aware of what am impact driver can do for me, I'm interested and I'll be paying attention. The Bosch impact drill seems to get very good reviews. The newest one features a "4-pole" motor, which is supposedly an improvement on its predecessor. It appears that the patient buyer can get a deal in this market.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think Amazon started a $40 off sale on $200 Bosch Products today, and Bosche is offering 2 free batteries:

I ordered the 2 piece set above for a final price of $198, and will get *4* batteries in all. The batteries sell for $50, so it's complicated, but it's almost like getting two drills free! : )

I figure if I wear out 1 pair of batteries, I'll have a backup pair--extending the life of the product.

Cheers, and thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The biggest advantage of most cordless drills and impacts over any corded drill is the electronic brake, release the trigger and the driver stops, instantly. No over driven screws.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry Leon, but I don't agree. My older cordless didn't brake and it did not overdrive nor did my electric.

The biggest advantage of a cordless is just getting the job done without a cord. Plus the clutch. I set it lower than needed when starting out, no overdrives or cam outs until I know how hard the wood is for the screws being driven.

Also the power of my first 18v nearly snapped my wrist off compared with an electric or my former 12v. For electric to get that powerful you needed a D handled unit with a side handle also.

Now the drills are just powerful...

Reply to
tiredofspam

I was implying that a cordless has the advantage of stopping quickly over a corded. I have never seen a cordless, 9.6 volt or larger that did no have a brake of some kind, I am sure they exist.

Reply to
Leon

The older ones did not all brake.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I received the Bosch kit today. Here is a quick comment:

The Bosch impact driver can seat a 3.5" deck screw into a 4by4 (no predrill), remove and reseat it anew, and remove it and the screw looks not too much worse for wear. It works for building workbenches too! :)

The new Bosch drill works better than my old cheap cordless (I'm sure it's the faster speed). I was using the same 3/16" drill bit that I have been using this week before I received the new drill. I haven't tried the lower speed higher torque setting except I noticed that it appears to work.

Count me completely satisfied! Amazon must have sold a few more of the kits because I see they currently seem to be out of inventory. I think that the sales extend until Father's Day in case that is helpful to anyone.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

BTW, if anyone is still looking, Home Depot has a pretty great deal on a Ridgid Drill/Driver combo. RIDGID 18-Volt X4 Hyper Lithium Ion 2-Pieces Cordless Combo Kit R9600 $179

Reply to
-MIKE-

Good golley I should hope so, My 12 volt Makita impact will do the same with 4", 5/16" lag bolts. My T15 Festool drill will sink those screws as fast and or as slow as you want, Slow equals more control.

Good for you Bill, Enjoy!

Reply to
Leon

Yes, it's no difference to me whether I seat them in 8 seconds or 2 seconds; I spend minutes marking where they are going to go. Even working quickly, I'm not over-driving them like I sometimes did with my

10-Amp drill drill. As swingman (I think) said, the impact driver affords better control.

I'll write the following for the sake of people who don't know (like I didn't 2-weeks ago). I no longer have to line up directly behind the drill/driver and keep a lot of weight behind it. I'm still using 2 hands, but with the impact drill I can surely set a screw in a much more casual posture--which is convenient for those "hard to reach" spots. And, the chances of being able to quickly and easily remove a screw driven with the impact driver is greatly improved. Hey, and no tail! : )

Reply to
Bill

I just returned from HD with this package. The batteries are charging and it will get some good use, today. I will report back with a full... um,.. report.

Reply to
-MIKE-