Which Makita cordless drill/driver?

Thanks for all the help with my previous posting. I'm going with a Makita based on my own prior experience with them, and recommendations posted here. Now it's just coming down to tradeoffs with chuck, torque, battery, weight. With weight and torque being the biggest differences in my "top 4". I'm curious to see what you say is an ideal torque rating for basic around the house work, including an upcoming kitchen renovation and cabinet installation project (the reason I'm replacing my current worn-out Craftsman ). If I can save almost a pound, but it comes at a price of "only" getting 310 in-lbs, is that not worth it? Or, on the other hand, if I can get 450 in-lbs in a drill just over 5 pounds is that just a no-brainer?

These are all about the same cost (refurbished), so I've settled on the following. Your thoughts?

Model - chuck - voltage - torque (in-lbs) - battery/watt hours - weight

6339 - 1/2" - 14.4 - 450 - 2.6Ah/37.4 - 5.1lbs 6236 - 3/8" - 14.4 - 330 - 2.2Ah/31.7 - 4.9lbs 6337 - 1/2" - 14.4 - 350 - 2.6Ah/37.4 - 4.6lbs 6217 - 3/8" - 12.0 - 310 - 2.6Ah/31.2 - 4.4lbs

Thanks again...

Reply to
db.alex.va

IMHO the lighter weight the better. I would go for the fastest RPM and then decide from there. I prefer a drill and impact driver for the tough work. In all the years of ww I have never needed a chuck with 1/2" capacity for a hand drill. I leave that stuff for the DP. Take care to not try to get a drill that fills all qualifications as they seldom do every thing well. Consider your needs and go with that drill that fills the bill the best. If it were me and after considering rpm's I would do with the 12 volt, it will not tire you out as quickly. If you need moor power on those rare occasions a much cheaper corded drill will compete with just about any high voltage battery operated drill. Your corded DeWalt 1/2" impact is way too much for furniture and cabinet building. Save it for automotive and deck building projects when you are using quality hardened fasteners. That impact will twist typical fasteners heads off quickly. I use a Makita 12 volt drill driver and a Makita 12 volt impact driver. The

12 volt impact driver has much more torque than most 24 volt drills.
Reply to
Leon

In all the years of ww I have never needed a chuck with 1/2" capacity

I'm with Leon. I think everyone should own a corded drill as a backup for high-torque/marathon drilling and driving. A more ergonomic (lightweight) cordless will meet 90% you needs.

That said, I did have to spring for a 1/2" corded Milwaukee last year to cover the 10% of the remaining of the 10% religated the 3/8" Corded Drill :-)

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

Agree re lighter. I've had a couple of the smallest Makitas over the years (though like automobiles the smallest gets bigger every year) and they are great. Less weight to carry up a ladder and handier in tight spots. Other drills for other jobs but they have coped with most of my needs.

Reply to
Don Mackie