Versatile drill

I've had my little Black & Decker two speed rotary drill since the early '70's.
Screwfix are offering:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb18-2-li-plus-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/9647j
or would I be better with
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dgl-jc-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/8652f
I'm looking for occasional use around the house, getting screws in and out, occasional brick, might hit the odd lintel. The attic has been floorboarded and screwed so if I want to get at anything a bit of help would do.
PS I recently resurrected an old Stanley hand-drill which had been neglected in a dilapitated shed and used it today to drill some small holes for curtain pole supports. Something very satisfying and controlled about hand-drilling even if somewhat inefficient.
--
AnthonyL

I would go for the Bosch even though recharging is 10mins longer the all metal gearbox swings it for me not sure what is in the Hitachi.
Richard
On 17/01/2016 14:28, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I dunno but my last battery powered drill was a Hitachi from Screwfix. It has had moderate to heavy use on a range of materials.
I am in the market for a new one after about 5 years. I won't be buying that brand again. The chuck has all but given up the will to grip drills and one of the batteries is on the edge of expiring too. The battery catches are also iffy and require prizing the old packs out with a screwdriver whilst pressing them (possibly because the packs have swollen slightly). I would run it into the ground if my patience allows but the chuck having become unreliable is the last straw.
Its predecessor on basic NiCads lasted more like 10 years and only failed when metal swarf got into the motor causing it to burn out.
Any other recommendations for a decent battery powered drill that will do general screwdriver functions and hammer settings as well?
Also in the market for a cheap and cheerful Aldi/Lidl one to leave permanently at my mums to save taking mine every time I need one.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If it really is occasional use and you expect a long life, stay clear of cordless. The batteries will fail long before the machine does. And may well need charging before you can use it anyway.
--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Agreed. A cheap mains hammer drill from the likes of Aldi/lidl will do nearly all you require of it and even if it dies after 10 years, it wont owe you anything. Battery tools need regular use so they will be ready charged when you want them. Don't expect more than a few (5?) years life (irrespective of level of use) from a battery pack.
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 14:51:55 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

Both are well OTT for occasional use.

A JCB, black & decker etc NiCd/NiMH 14v drill would be plenty

yes... they're very handy, but for occasional use the batteries will be flat, and waiting a few hours is far from handy.

... but you'll get better service from your 1970s B&D. They're deeply out of fashion but are surprisingly able, and very reliable.

yep. In your situation I might stick with the old B&D. Better certainly exists, but I don't think you'll get what you want in a cordless.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd assumed that the B&D had finally died? Agree that an old all metal 70s B&D is the best option - even picking up another from the same era rather than buy new anything.
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 16:35:07 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

dless-combi-drill/9647j

ss-combi-drill/8652f

nd

lp

of

ay

flat, and waiting a few hours is far from handy.

nt

ut of fashion but are surprisingly able, and very reliable.

of

exists, but I don't think you'll get what you want in a cordless.

If it's dead, I'd look for something more modern as those lack reverse & ha mmer. But a more modern one won't have anything like the longevity. If anot her old B&D is offered for next to nothing, it's not a bad deal, as long as you have other drills for hammer action etc. I did some core drilling once with an ancient B&D, 270w or something, and it did just as well as a moder n drill despite the power rating difference. (There was some problem with t he shank that made it impossible to use the SDS.)
NT
On 17/01/2016 16:34, Bob Minchin wrote:

It isn't how occasional the job is, it's what the occasional job is. Even if you only drill brick once a flood you need SDS.
Bill
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:34:50 +0000, Bob Minchin

No - it's still going - and no - it's not the metal one either. But it doesn't do screws - it doesn't do hammer. Just pure rotation at 900rpm and 2400rpm.
However I don't mind not having cordless so I'll look around for a mains driven unit which can sit in its box for a year and still work when SWIMBO needs something doing.
--
AnthonyL

On Sunday, 17 January 2016 21:01:36 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:

mains drills will screw, though control is grotty.

You haven't clarified what tasks you want it for.
NT
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 21:28:48 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So long as they have a 2 speed mechanical gearbox.
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 13:28:44 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I thought I had and it is cited above.
--
AnthonyL

On 18/01/2016 13:14, AnthonyL wrote:

With respect your description is a little vague. I probably end up assembling a bit of flat pack furniture for someone once a year. While you *can* do this with normal screwdrivers or allen keys, it only takes seconds with a cordless drill. I was helping a mate with some mods on a boat last weekend, and one of these involved removing and replacing two access panels on a sloping ceiling each held with eight self tappers. With a cordless drill, the posidrive screw sticks to a bit held in a magnetic chuck. You can use one hand to align the panel, the other holds the drill with the screw held on the bit, a quick whizz and it is in, move on to the next screw. Doing it with a screwdriver, even a magnetic one, is a lot more fiddly. The control of angle and torque that you have with a decent modern cordless drill really has to be tried to be appreciated.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:54:09 +0000, newshound

That's because SWIMBO has not detailed all the bits and pieces I am likely to have to do over the next 10yrs.

Well yes, I've got something to assemble this weekend - at this rate I'll be doing it all by hand just like I did with the recent IKEA cabinets. It might be 2 years or never before I have to do another.
So what drill have you got? That would be helpful.
--
AnthonyL

On 21/01/2016 13:07, AnthonyL wrote:

I have a Makita 18 volt which came with 2 NiCad batteries, cost about £100 with a box fitted with a useful collection of drills, 6 mm bits, etc. It is a few years old and I have bought about 3 "clone" batteries since then. (It has had fairly heavy use including about 50 metres of fencing and a large summerhouse). Now, I think I would suggest going with Li-Ion rather than NiCad.
Surprisingly, it still seems to be available
(Amazon.com product link shortened)53413955&sr=1-2&keywords=makita+drill
If I was replacing it I would probably go for something like this (although it is in two boxes).
(Amazon.com product link shortened)53413955&sr=1-4&keywords=makita+drill
It sounds to me as though you don't actually need two batteries, though. In fact for your purposes the best buy would probably be an Aldi or Lidl "special", unfortunately only available intermittently.
Interesting to see the Lidl brand "Parkside" listing on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/parkside-power-tools
Here is a cheaper single battery Lithium Ion (without accessories).
(Amazon.com product link shortened)53414367&sr=1-6&keywords=cordless+drill
I've had some Wickes own-brand tools in the past. They don't feel quite so solidly built as branded products, but I suspect (from handling them in store) that the drills may have got better.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-18V-Li-ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill/p/141123

That's far less of an issue with LIon batteries IME. I find I can leave them untouched for months and still have useful charge in them.
--
Cheers,

John.

Though a cheapy drill probably not much good for screw driving.
Li-ion is much better though for tool batteries.
I've picked up a tool that hadn't been used for a few months and there was still plenty of charge.
NiCd or NiMH, yep they'd have been flat.
Of the two I'd go for the Bosch, probably as much cos I've a few Bosch tools, they have all been reliable
--
Chris French

On 17/01/2016 14:51, Bob Minchin wrote:

I really don't think I'd agree. It is a fair point that very occasional use (a couple of times a year?) will be bad from the battery viewpoint.
But the battery drill will have far better control than a cheap mains drill if you are using it for screws.
I use my Makita for screws more often than I use a screwdriver. E.g. for removing and replacing the back of the washing machine the other day: far quicker and easier.
On Sunday, 17 January 2016 18:12:36 UTC, newshound wrote:

it's bad in the sense that you'll need to wait 3 hours for it to charge first

for sure

yes.... once it's charged. Which takes hours.
NT