I need a new cordless drill/driver - what's recommended?

I'm after a new cordless drill driver to replace my aging Metabo ones, I have an SBT12 and a BST9.6 which have done sterling service for well over five years now.
What I'm after is something slightly more compact (and thus probably lighter as well) but otherwise basically about the same. Thus 10.8 volt or 12 volt LiIon would seem to be about where I'm aiming.
I can't afford to buy new Metabo, they're out of my price range now (I bought the ones above at clearance prices) so I'm probably looking at sort of 'middle of the range' good DIY or cheaper end professional tools.
I *definitely* want automatic spindle lock like the Metabos have, other than that and being light and compact I don't really have any major requirements.
What I have looked at (on-line) so far are:-
Erbauer ERP407DDH 10.8V - Screwfix own brand, seems to fulfil my requirements, anyone have any experience of this?
Ryobi 12v from B&Q http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/-brand-Ryobi/Ryobi-12V-Drill-Driver-with-1-x-1-3Ah-Lithium-ion-Battery-in-Bag-13168689 Similar price (when bought with two batteries)
Any other suggestions at around the same sort of price range, I can stretch it a bit if necessary.
--
Chris Green
·

On Tuesday 04 February 2014 12:50 snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have an earlier version of:
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gsr-108-li-body-only-carton-li-ion-2-speed-drilldriver-body-hex-bitholder-wo-charger-or-batteries-in-carton-with-l-boxx-inlay.html?gclid=CIzi_NrEsrwCFYWWtAodsjMARw
and it's been excellent. Lot sof power for a small device.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal

snip

I can second that recommendation. Was given one the Xmas before last; have been so impressed by it I've just bought another one. (Drill in one, screwdriver bit in the other, really speeds things up)
--
Chris Holford

On 04/02/2014 12:50, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Don't know either of these specifically but I have been very happy with several bit of Ryobi kit, I have one or two Erbauer things and they are OK but don't feel quite so nicely made.
On 04/02/2014 12:50, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Not that much more than the Ryobi:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/metabo-powermaxx-max12-basic-108v-li-ion-p147868

Well how about the same price per tool:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-dk1493wx-108v-li-ion-white-combi--p154753
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

+1
I bought the earlier 7.2 volt version about 5 years ago and it's given good service and still going strong.
--
Mike Clarke

Yes, I've seen that and I'm tempted! :-)

Yes, but I don't really want an impact driver, Combi + ordinary would suit me better.
--
Chris Green
·

On 04/02/2014 17:56, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

How can you not want an impact driver? ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/02/2014 20:47, John Rumm wrote:

Absolutely.
--
Rod

I ws also impressed with the Bosch 10.8 impact driver that I got with my drill driver.
--
Chris French

What do you actually use an impact driver for?
--
Chris Green
·

< http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver#What_does_it_do.3 F>
Basically driving larger/longer screws than a plain drill/driver will manage, without the need for pilot and clearance holes. Or other times when you need a higher torque
They have much much higher torque and the impact action, as well as driving in the screw, seems to mean that they are much less likely to cam out.
I was using mine for quite a bit of stud walling etc. doing our bathroom. I don't know what is limit is, but my little Bosch would happily drive in 120x5 mm screws (5" no 10 ?).
It's one of those tools, that once you have used it, you don't want to be without it.
--
Chris French

I specifically bought my non-impact Metabo for doing that. It's a 12 volt driver that provides 50nM of torque.
Compared with the only impact driver I have it's heaven to use and will happily drive 6mm x 100mm screws into fencing posts (my major use when I got it).

Well, as I said, my Metabo quite happily copes with 6mm x 100mm screws so no gain there! :-)

I did use one, and hated it!
--
Chris Green
·

On 08/02/2014 11:35, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Pa, my Makita 18V ID will do 168Nm ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 08/02/2014 21:04, John Rumm wrote:

My 14.4v will do 140Nm :-)

my 10.8V does 105Nm :-)
--
Chris French

On 08/02/2014 22:59, chris French wrote:

My 7.2V does 22Nm ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 07/02/2014 20:58, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Sticking in screws... lots of them, with little effort, and fast.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver
--
Cheers,

John.

See my previous response, I find my 12 volt Metabo capable of screws as big as I need (6mm x 100mm) and it's *far* more docile and manageable than any impact driver I've tried.
--
Chris Green
·

On 08/02/2014 11:37, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Impact drivers have much less torque reaction - so in places where it is difficult to get yourself well positioned to cope with that, they are bloomin' marvellous.
It also depends if the impact driver handles "it's tight now" well, or carries on hammering away. They do vary.
--
Rod