I need a new cordless drill/driver - what's recommended?

See my previous response, I find my 12 volt Metabo capable of screws as big as I need (6mm x 100mm) and it's *far* more docile and manageable than any impact driver I've tried.

Reply to
cl

Impact drivers have much less torque reaction - so in places where it is difficult to get yourself well positioned to cope with that, they are bloomin' marvellous.

It also depends if the impact driver handles "it's tight now" well, or carries on hammering away. They do vary.

Reply to
polygonum

Pa, my Makita 18V ID will do 168Nm ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Docile perhaps... and to be fair IDs do take a little practice to get the best from. However the increase in speed, and reduction in operator effort makes them well worthwhile IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

My 14.4v will do 140Nm :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your Metabo will be chucking out about 40Nm, my 14.4v Makita ID will do

140NM.

Two main differences - speed, IDs are much faster and kickback - no torque comes back at you, so you don't have to hang onto the tool for dear life.

If you put 1200 screws into a deck with a drill driver, your wrists ache for days :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

my 10.8V does 105Nm :-)

Reply to
chris French

My 7.2V does 22Nm ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Blue Bosch are nice these days. I got the 18V one on a bargain deal from S crewfix a couple of years back and it's lovely. Bargain price as it came wi th three half-size Lipo packs, not the usual big pack. Hammer action is re ally useful as it's enough to wallplug a brick or two, which saves getting the SDS out for the majority of small jobs.

I'm after a screwdriver to match (sometimes you do just need one in each ha nd). I like it so much I'm thinking of getting another one the same (hey, i t's only money) to have two matching, with matching packs, rather than the

10.8V screwdriver that is what I actually _need_ (sic).
Reply to
Andy Dingley

One *definitely* needs two drill/drivers. For woodwork for example I have a 5mm drill in one and the scerwdriver bit in the other. Even when bit changing is fast and easy two drills is easier.

My two Metabos, although they are different voltages (12v and 9.6v) use the same charger so I only have to have one charger, and I can leave the other somewhere useful so may not even have to carry the charger with the drills.

I'm looking for a similar combination of two drill/drivers to do the same sort of thing.

On the impact driver one of the pair (in twin packs) can you turn the impact function off so that it becomes a straightforward screwdriver? (OK, it may depend on model of course, if so which ones allow it to be turned off?)

... oh, and 18 volt is too big! I'm specifically after something smaller and lighter than my exisiting Metabos. Having played with a few in B&Q recently 10.8 volts seems to be about where I want to be.

Reply to
cl

I used to have 2, it does save time. But there are other options too: hex shank drill bits mains drill as the second machine I've also used a die grinder for 3mm pilot holes, fast as lightning!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

One bloody huisance is that the screwdriver bits are ¼" and the wood bits are 6mm, so the bit (sorry) that needs some accuracy is the one that'll wobble.

Reply to
PeterC