Looking for 10.8v or 12v cordless with spindle lock

I'm looking to replace my long serving 10.8v Titan (i.e. Screwfix own brand I think) drill and I'm having a really hard time finding anything. I want either 10.8v or 12v so there's no bulky battery 'lump' at the end of the handle and I want a spindle lock. That's about it, no other particular requirements.

I can find a few horribly expensive ones but nothing at all at the sort of price level that my Titan one cost (around £70 for drill and impact driver pair). I can find loads of really cheap ones around £30 but not with spindle lock.

Is there nothing 'mid-range' with what I want?

Reply to
Chris Green

Aldi ferrex has spindle lock, £20. Only one battery & 3hr charge though.

Reply to
Animal

That's 20v though isn't it, with a big lump at the end of the handle.

Reply to
Chris Green

I was about to suggest a Makita like mine (HP330D)[1] - but it looks like they don't make it any more - all the current stuff has gone for a more traditional lump style battery even in 10.8V

Bosch still do one:

[1]

(a few used ones on eBay at mid range money)

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't most(all) of the have a auto spindle lock or else how would you be able to tighten or remove a drill bit from a keyless chuck?

Reply to
alan_m

Search for Metabo Powermaxx

Reply to
nothanks

No, they mostly have a keyless chuck with two parts where you have to use two hands to turn in opposite directions to tighten a bit. So if it says 'keyless chuck' it means that two-handed sort.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, it's odd isn't it, all those nice neat, compact ones without a 'lump' seem to have disappeared.

Reply to
Chris Green

no. set to the lowest gear setting & yank the chuck quickly. Motor inertia is enough.

Reply to
Animal

No. Aldi have 2 ranges, the active energy & the cheaper all in for £25. The latter is 12v lithium.

Reply to
Animal

I've often wondered why drill makers do not do an option where you can have a battery on the end of a cable, so you can still be away from a mains supply but the drill itself is smaller and lighter and the battery can sit on the ground or be on a belt. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I was just thinking that, though having said that a chuck with a locking key is not that bad once you make up a system of not losing them grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This query begs the question, what is the form of the failure of the old device? Is it the motor itself, or something electronic, or perhaps the gears and any other part, like percussion generator or something. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I bought a couple of makita drill/drivers using the round 3-cell CXT battery when they were clearing them out.

They're not so powerful as LXT, but handy to keep e.g. countersink and screwdriver one in each, save keep swapping bits.

Reply to
Andy Burns

At low voltage the current could be quite high, meaning thick cables. An alternative is a battery inverter and a mains drill. Ryobe sell them.

Reply to
charles

No longer available.

Reply to
Chris Green

OP here, yes, that sort of works but it's not ideal and is difficult to get larger drill sizes sufficiently tight.

Reply to
Chris Green

Take that to the next level - a whole battery backpack:

John Rumm

Yeah, they get cheap cordlesses in every so often. They often vary from batch to batch. I mostly avoid aldi power tools now, so many failures.

Reply to
Animal

The speed control on mine is good enough that I grip the chuck, then gently squeeze the trigger. It's reversible so I can get bits out as well as in ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris