problem with 12v halogen Ikea lights

We have an Ikea low voltage lighting system in the kitchen. It's made up of the mains transformer, which is affixed to the ceiling, and two long lengths of cable runing along the ceiling, connected to the transformer by two short lengths of cable.

It's worked fine for 3 years, but now the transformer keeps tripping out after 5 minutes. We've moved each light a little way along the cable to discount bad connections, and replaced the two short connecting wires (the sheathing had become blackened with heat), but it hasn't fixed the problem.

There are six 20watt lights on the system which is rated at 140watts, so over loading with lights isn't the problem, although it does stay on a little while longer if we use fewer lights.

ANy ideas what the problem could be?

Reply to
Stone Cold

check the transformer has some airflow for cooling. Otherwise replace transformer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222