Bungalow Rennovation

Hi All, I'm considering purchasing a 2 bed bungalow. I've viewed a likely candidate, but it needs loads of work. I'm a complete non-d-i-y ist (sorry!), so I'd probably have to get the appropriate experienced personnel in to do the work. I can manage the decorating but the other stuff is definitely beyond my ability and experience. This is what needs doing:

1). New kitchen, 2). New Bathroom including knocking bathroom and separate wc into one room. 3). Rewire 4). New gas boiler and gas fire for lounge. 5). Removal and replacement for asbestos garage roof. 6). General decor

Has anybody got any ideas on the likely cost of getting this work done by qualified professionals?. Are there other things that I should look out for?.

Thanks in advance, Regrads, Dave

Reply to
David

A mate of mine did something similar and saved himself a packet....

Hw advertised locally for a "Retired General Builder", to come and work Part Time / Flexible hours and paid the guy a wage, and bought all the materials.

I think it would be difficult to do these days, but you never know.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Rees MW1LCR

Most of the above is really not difficult at all to do, once youve had a bit of guidance to get going with. If you've got the time but not the money you could save plenty. =A3100 on suitable tools would be adequate for these jobs.

Kitchen cost depends entirely what units you put in. As a minimum, used carcasses and repainted doors would cost you maybe a tenner in fixings, =A320 in spray paint. Bathroom suite, go look in B&Q etc. Knocking a wall down and making good, =A350 tops if you diy and the wall isnt structural. A lot more if it is. Rewire 2-3 grand professional job White asbestos roofs dont need removing on safety grounds, but if too broken to use then it depends how you reroof it and what size it is. Decor, you can price paint yourself, filler is around =A36 for 100kg using bagged lime.

Do you mean you've not had it surveyed?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from "David" contains these words:

Watch that one - the asbestos brigade will ty to get you to pay through the nose for that. Depends where you are in the country, but many places accept that asbestos roofing is low risk. The guidance from my local council for example is this...

"If you are breaking the asbestos, you are advised to wear an appropriate face mask - to prevent inhalation of airborne asbestos particles - and appropriate gloves. You are required to double bag the broken bits of asbestos and to tie up the bags. Sheets of asbestos, which are undamaged, may be transported without the need for them to be bagged.

You must book a time and date for your visit to the Granville Community Recycling Centre (Red Hill, off the A5), which is the only CRC in the borough that provides a special skip for household asbestos disposal."

As for the rest - it might be helpful if you told us how big the bungalow is, what sort of kitchen you want (variation in price may be fivefold, for example) and most importantly where it is in the country.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Adrian Rees MW1LCR" contains these words:

You could advertise in Warsaw.

Reply to
Guy King

That isn't necessarily the best plan. If there's more than one inhabitant there's nothing worse than having someone else wanting a c**p while you're enjoying a nice long soak in the bath!

You said above that you can manage the decorating. Is that really different to decor?

Have a go. DIY isn't really difficult as long as you remember your limitations. There are certain statutory rules but if you keep reading this newsgroup you'll see what can and can't be done by you (and a load of other bullshit as well!)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

£3k - £30k commercially, of £500 to 5k DIY. Depends what you want

same range as for the kitchen - upper limit may be a bit lower.

£2k - £4k pro job, £500 - £1k DIY

5). Removal and replacement for asbestos garage roof.

see other posts

starts from £100/room

Reply to
John Rumm

Some idea of what kind of quality you want and money you want to spend would narrow it down somewhat. As an example you can decorate a house for =A32 a room using white or broken white distemper, or at the other end of the scale you can get into marbling and fancy plastering and fabrics, and spend 1k a room.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Best move we ever made - though we've a downstairs loo.

Reply to
Guy King

Means he's an employer though, and has to register with Inland Revenue for PAYE deductions etc.

Probably illegal under age discrimination laws.

Owain

Reply to
Owain