Flickering Ceiling Lights

All the ceiling lights in the house started flickering intermittently, as if there is a loose connection in the circuit. It's just the light

- wall receptacles are fine.

It is not happening all the time or at a particular time of day. My first guess was a loose connection at the circuit breaker panel, but all the connections there are good, and the breaker is fully on.

I know this is not much info, but all I have at this point. I don't think we have rats, but I can picture a big fat rat chewing on a cable in the attic.

For the electrical folks, how would you go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Just in case, I would try something simple first and pull out the receptacle (on the same circuit) closest to the lights and check. Or at least give it a wiggle.

Maybe the switch(s) next.

Reply to
Metspitzer

BTW the problem is most likely going to be on the electrical panel side of the house.

Reply to
Metspitzer

One time when a friend of mine had this happen, the problem turned out to be where the double

100 amp breaker (incoming power) connected to the buss bar. We took flash lights in hand, I pulled the double breaker, and scraped and sanded the bus bar. Put some No-Al-Ox on, and put it back together.

Other thing to do, is tighten all the white and bare wires, in the bar where they all tie in. I've had a loose white wire result in strange behavior.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does "all" include the bathroom ceiling light if there is one?

You might try loosening and then tightening all the connections in the panel. That should get rid corrosion.

Are all the lighting circuits on either the left or right side of your breaker panel?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

One circuit or more?

Reply to
Metspitzer

if there is a loose connection in the circuit. It's just the light - wall receptacles are fine. It is not happening all the time or at a particular t ime of day. My first guess was a loose connection at the circuit breaker pa nel, but all the connections there are good, and the breaker is fully on. I know this is not much info, but all I have at this point. I don't think we have rats, but I can picture a big fat rat chewing on a cable in the attic . For the electrical folks, how would you go about troubleshooting this? Th anks in advance. Bob

ALL the ceiling lights??? Which rooms, bedrooms only, or bedrooms, kitchen , dining room, family room, front and back porches, etc???? Please be more specific!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

If *all* your lights are flickering but all connections in your breaker box are good, the problem could be outside you house and the power company would have to fix it.

Reply to
philo

as if there is a loose connection in the circuit. It's just the light - wall receptacles are fine. It is not happening all the time or at a particular time of day. My first guess was a loose connection at the circuit breaker panel, but all the connections there are good, and the breaker is fully on. I know this is not much info, but all I have at this point. I don't think we have rats, but I can picture a big fat rat chewing on a cable in the attic. For the electrical folks, how would you go about troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance. Bob

- ALL the ceiling lights??? Which rooms, bedrooms only, or bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, family room, front and back porches, etc???? Please be more specific!!!!

Yes, every ceiling light in the house flickers at the same time. Lamps plugged into receptacles are not flickering. I just got back to the house now. Breakers are not marked. I will ID all the breakers tomorrow and post what I find out.

Reply to
Guv Bob

intermittently, as if there is a loose connection in the circuit. It's just the light - wall receptacles are fine.

first guess was a loose connection at the circuit breaker panel, but all the connections there are good, and the breaker is fully on.

think we have rats, but I can picture a big fat rat chewing on a cable in the attic.

Will check tomorrow and post what I find.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Good suggestion. I've had that problem. One leg of the three in the line from the pole transformer to the house developed a loose connection. Lights flickered, but nothing else TV, dishwasher, etc. had problems. Apparently that leg, for some reason, fed all of the permanently-wired light fixtures. After some prodding, the utility company came out and reworked the connections. They said that squirrels had been chewing on the wires too, but I don't see how chewing on the wire insulation could have loosened a bolt connector.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

Glad you managed to get that repaired. I'm with you, unless squirrel carries big spanner wrenches, might not be their fault. I'd more suspect the wind blows the wires and poles. A bit of motion, and wire swinging will tend to loosen bolts. I doubt any power company has the staffing levels to tighten all bolts preventively, so they wait for trouble calls.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All the ceiling lights in the house started flickering intermittently, as if there is a loose connection in the circuit. It's just the light - wall receptacles are fine.

It is not happening all the time or at a particular time of day. My first guess was a loose connection at the circuit breaker panel, but all the connections there are good, and the breaker is fully on.

I know this is not much info, but all I have at this point. I don't think we have rats, but I can picture a big fat rat chewing on a cable in the attic.

For the electrical folks, how would you go about troubleshooting this?

*I would remove some of the circuit breakers to see if there is any indication of arcing on the back of the breakers or busbar. If there is, sand the busbar a little with sandpaper to clean it up and then replace the breakers. If the busbar is severely damaged, move the breaker location or replace the panel or just its interior.

Make sure all connections in the breaker panel are tight, including the neutrals and the mains. I also check the grounds to make sure that they are tight.

If the problem seems to be only on one circuit, start by opening up the switches and ceiling boxes nearest to the electrical panel and go out from there. You should also check any outlets that may be on that circuit.

If the problem is multiple circuits and you didn't find anything by removing the circuit breakers, there may be a loose connection on the main line. This could be inside of the electric meter, at the weatherhead, or at the transformer on the pole.

Reply to
John Grabowski

The OP did mention that lamps plugged into the outlets are not flickering. If it can be determined that the "main" that feeds them is /not/ the same main that feeds the ceiling lights then my original guess very well could be right.

OTOH: If any of them share the same main wire then this is going to be a bit of a stumper.

Reply to
philo

If it happens like only once, this probably won't help. But if it is truly flickering, an AM radio might be used to sniff for RF produced. Just tune between stations and put it near outlets, etc. Like I said, 'might'.

Reply to
Art Todesco

[...]

The wire on one breaker is black and the other should be red. Right? Trace the wires from the breaker up to where they exit the panel. Then trace the white wire back to the neutral bus and make sure it is tight there.

If you are sure there are no receptacles on those circuits, then you may have to start looking in ceiling lights and switches for a loose neutral (white) connection.

Reply to
Metspitzer

at the same time. Lamps plugged into receptacles are not flickering. I just got back to the house now. Breakers are not marked. I will ID all the breakers tomorrow and post what I find out.

another. Both are next to each over on one pole and can use some cleaning up. Will remove all and clean them up and replace screws. Other circuits are 20A and are balanced. Turned all CB's off and on and no change in the flickering. Flickering only happens with a lot of the lights are on.

Please let us know what works out. My guess is you'll end up pull the offending breaker, and sand paper the metal where it clips on. Of course, switch off the mains, and work by flash light.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon