Flickering Ceiling Lights

are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

Thanks Jason. I just now checked and all are snug. I'm thinking about moving the 2 ceiling light CB's over to the other hot bar and try to isolate it that way.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I'll see that and raise this:

RosemontCrest

I like the way the yellow and orange picks up the copper color. It's very attractive.

Reply to
micky

Most of those "for-hire" home inspectors, that _buyers_ (fortunately :-) pay for, can't even find the right end of a flashlight. ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

I should mention that you can also do it wrong without the electrical tape:

Hint: If you have an IR thermometer, use it to measure the temperature of your circuit breakers. I had a problem at a rental that I found that way. The breaker looked ok, but it wasn't. I've also used an IR thermometer to test the integrity of low voltage high current solar panel wiring and battery banks:

That's pretty bad. The #16awg(?) extension cord at the end is the best part. Looking at the garage, I would guess that it's new construction, probably added without the benefit of a building permit.

Many more of the same: Perhaps we have an epidemic of bad wiring?

Why the OP expected to find advice on electrical wiring in two electronics newsgroups will remain a mystery.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

Thanks, Ed. That sounds reasonable to me. I'll check it out. All the flickering is on Phase A lights & receptacles. They all flicker at the same time. I called the power company today and they will send someone out this week to check the line up to the CP panel.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I know what you're saying. If there is a more appropriate usenet group please let me know. The only other one I could find was "alt.trades.electrician" which has not been active since 2012.

It's hard to tell from the names which groups people hang around. I recently had some questions about an automobile computer/electrical issue. These 3 groups had a lot of good advice. Hardly anything from the auto and computer groups.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Might be on the pole. We had that problem years ago, 1 phase with a bad connection. Took a few tries before they cleaned and tightend the connection.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I had a bad neutral coming to the house. Furnace blower would fire up, half of the house lights would dim, half would brighten.

Called SRP, got lip from the receptionist, read her the riot act, serviceman there in 20 minutes >:-}

Installed temporary, above ground, neutral, came back and trenched and replace the whole feed. ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Bob,

With the flickering happening only on lights connected to phase A it is less likely to be a loose neutral connection.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

are a signal unit - tandem I think is the term. I removed them, cleaned all the contacts and checked all the wiring connections and all are fine. After that, no flickering for a few weeks. Now it started again this week. Connections are still tight.

difference, so it sounds to me like it's in the CB 1& 3 circuit. The ceiling light/fan in slot #8 doesn't flicker, nor do any lamps plugged into receptacles.

the flickering is on Phase A lights & receptacles. They all flicker at the same time. I called the power company today and they will send someone out this week to check the line up to the CP panel.

Hi Ed, you are absolutely right! Take a bow! LOL!!! The power company tech checked out the field connection and the connector on the phase connected to the left side, with the flickering circuits, was the problem. He replaced all three of them.

I'll post a couple of photos to the 2 binary groups.

Reply to
Guv Bob