Win7 problem

Have a little used PC which is dual boot (on separate HDs) Win7 and XP. Going to use it the other day after some time and Win7 (and other things) decided to update - perfectly normal. Let it carry on. After re-booting it stuck on 'configuring your computer' then reset. And went through this cycle constantly.

XP works normally.

I've done an HD check and it seems ok.

Tried to do a system restore - but it says no restore points which is plain wrong.

Tried the original installation disc - my own Win7, not a OEM one - and it says it can't repair it. But nothing unusual there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds like an update b0rked it, no change there then.... What happens if you try booting Windows 7 in 'safe mode', does it still do the same thing?

Reply to
Lee

Can you boot it in Safe Mode and uninstall the latest updates?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Disable automatic restart, the blue screen should give you enough diagnostics to google.

Disable Automatic Restart From the Advanced Boot Options Menu in Windows 7

Reply to
Adrian C

He just said safe mode still resets, so I assume that is a no. I tend to nearly always use Erunt on machines, but of course one has to have had it installed before the update c*ck up. Can that copy of Win 7 boot into the command prompt? If it can there might be somethign one can do.

Having said all that, in the end it might be more reiable to reinstall. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

But if W7 won't start, how do you get to that menu?

Reply to
Roger Mills

F8 *before* the main boot. The OP says it's stuck on "configuring" which means he's passed the point where he can get the options screen up.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

This might help - haven't tried it myself with Win 7 but it was very effective for WinXP.

Reply to
nemo

But he also said that it does the same in Safe Mode which implies that he must have pressed F8 to get the boot options.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I see updates applying to a large number of computers running XP, Vista,

7 and 8 - some of which have had quite varied lives often with poor maintenance. In the last six months, I can only really remember a single one which had a clear "upgrade failed" issue which continued to cause other issues. Even that appeared to have had its original cause in a non-MS anti-malware product. By far the majority get downloaded and apply with no significant issues.
Reply to
polygonum

Ah, fail on my part :( I missed the reply.

Pointy hat for me for the rest of Wednesday .

Reply to
Jethro_uk