HD for a desktop

Have a second desktop PC which isn't much used - but is handy when needed. Is similar to my main one, having dual boot with two HDs - one XP, one Win7. Used it a few weeks ago and discovered the XP HD had failed. And just now the Win 7 one. Both were bought at the same time and are identical. Can't remember where they were bought and when.

What is the best make to go for these days? A quick glance on Ebay showed a 500Gb or so to cost an arm and a leg.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what?

46 quid is an arm and a leg?

IIRC only 3 companies left making hard disks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a half gig drive? That's 1TB drive money on Amazon. £35 for 500Gb, £70 for 2TB.

That's assuming SATA, however. IDE are very old tech now, smaller, and more expensive.

Reply to
Adrian

yerrs. I looked at 'upgrading' an old IDE lappie, and concluded i'd be better off with a SATA FLASH drive and an IDE adapter..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well you only have Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital to choose from these days ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

dennis

Have you checked the power supply?

Reply to
dennis

He might have looked at the solid state things. At a glance it looks like a straight HD in a picture.

Reply to
Ericp

All the main brands are mostly good, with the occasional screwup. I avoid freecom et al, the MTBFs I've seen didnt inspire much confidence

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Do you really need 500GB? SSD is smaller and more expensive, but might give the machine a decent performance boost.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I would have expected almost any machine originally supplied with XP would by now get a speed boost from a new hard drive. That being purely due to better performance of the drives - disregarding things like defragmentation and general clear-up.

Reply to
polygonum

He has cheap body parts then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I put a half a tb one in a laptop for just over 50 quid less than a year back, surely not that expensive.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I thought I saw a dongle to convert them to ide recently, but I guess ide will gradually get rarer as time passes so maybt such adaptors will eventually vanish. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quite. Bit too much of a coincidence.

If the machine checks out OK, I'd second the recommendations elsewhere for an SSD if space isn't too much of an issue.

Reply to
RJH

got over 2TB altogether here.

Of course giving SWMBO a device to record TV onto the server..and a way for the sitting room TV to replay from the server...didnt help.

But it is a hell of a lot better than a vast bookcase full of DVDS and tapes half of which dont play the next time you try and use them

Then there are the photos we take...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Modern consumer drives focus on reduced power consumption, rather than speed. There _are_ performance-focussed drives, but they're spendier.

Reply to
Adrian

They still have somewhere around half the access time, larger cache, fancier built-in intelligence and much faster bus speeds from those of, say, six or seven years ago.

Reply to
polygonum

Faster bus speeds are bollock all use without the controller to match.

Reply to
Adrian

The old drive might not have been able to saturate the bus. Obviously I don't know the details in the OP's case. It was only one factor!

Reply to
polygonum