Flier from CPC

Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA

6Gb/s Hard Drives

FROM £42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So if the data transfer rate is 6Gb/s - what is their capacity?

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
Phil

It seems to be the going rate. EBuyer do it for £49.98 inc VAT.

It's SATA III so you won't get 6Gb unless your motherboard supports it.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Ah - so that's what it refers to.

BTW, what on earth is your newsreader? It seems seriously broken.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

6Gb/s

thats the data transfer rate

Thats what a seagate barracuda on SATA does these days if the computer can handle it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£47.84 at

My supplier is always 15% more than the cheapest. OTOH he has never failed to take back something shagged but under guraantee without quibbling, and the last hard disk replacement came with free installation and testing..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You use ebuyer too? Maybe not as they only satisfy the always replace it without quibble clause.

Reply to
dennis

I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them up and how long does it take. Is two and raid the answer still?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

RAID isn't backup...

but yeah, two drives mirrored helps protect against disk failure. Beware exotic controllers though - if that goes pop you have two drives you can't access. Not sure how much of an issue that is these days.

Ideally you would be able to just use either drive if you suffer a failure.

If possible, raid and then backup to a 3rd drive that's offline (or even better, offsite)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

RAID isn't a backup, if one gets corrupted or accidentally deleted the other immediately follows suit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That has never been the answer.

What happens when the PSU blows both up, or someone steals it or you drop it on the floor or have a flood or a fire.

As a backup strategy raid is cr@p.

Reply to
dennis

well forme, its a networked srver, and I simply mirror one disk to the other using rsync, which only backs up the days changes, under CRON takes about ten minutes at 5 a.m.

RAID is avialability, not backup. Ideally backup should be on a different machine at a different location.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now calculate the average unrecoverable error probability by the capacity of the drive... It gets horribly close to one.

RAID's very nice. Until the controller goes titsup.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Brian Gaff writes

In my case I backup to an external drive (when I get a roundtuit it will become a small NAS an live elsewhere on the network) and online with Crashplan.

Intial backups may take sometime (esp. online with slow upload speeds), but after that only new data is backed up (I've no idea how long it takes, as it all happens automatically)

Reply to
chris French

Which is why I prefer software RAID.

Reply to
Huge

So you prefer a solution where other drivers and even application software can make it go t*ts up?

Reply to
dennis

Don't even do that.

Reply to