kitchen cupboard height

Hi,

My slow kitchen refurb continues and I am finally about to hang the wall units. I am wondering how high I should fix them. I have a tall unit with a double oven in and my original plan was to put all the cupboards at the same height so that the tops were level with the top of the oven unit. However I think this will mean the cupboards are too high to get maximum use from the top shelves.

I think I will have to hang the cupboards next to the oven unit at that height for aesthetic reasons but I am wondering whether I could mount the cupboards lower on the other walls. I have just had a quick look via google and various web sites seem to suggest having the cupboards somewhere between 450mm and 500mm above the work top. Does this sound about right? How high do you mount your wall cupboards?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Hi,

Ours are 470mm

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

500 mm in my case (to the bottom of the doors, which overhang a batten under the lowest shelf with a striplight behind)
Reply to
newshound

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Hi enough to miss my cranium when I bend over the worktop!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 or low enough so you are still aware of them when looking down at the worktop. But that will make 'em too low.

Wall cupboard height will be a fight when it comes to the new kitchen. SWMBO'd is a foot shorter than me. Things over worktops at a good height for her are down right dangerous for me...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

High enough that you can see to the back of the worktop when standing at the base unit?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

My other half is a foot shorter than me. I hate low cooker hoods so I put it just about my head, and she can just reach the controls with outstretched arms !

The cupboard height matches the full height units, but I think if you put them any closer you'd have to stand back to see the plug sockets.

Lights need to be as tight into the cupboard plinth so as to be hidden at various heights. I put in some LED strips in quadrant format from LIDL that do a good job at that.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Fred scribbled...

If you're fitting them all around the kitchen, you could hit a problem if you buy a breadmaker, which needs 620mm clearance to lift the lid (Panasonic)

Ditto chip fryers ?

Reply to
Artic

Also consider tile sizes. Don't leave yourself with a small gap under the wall units.

Reply to
stuart noble

sm_jamieson scribbled...

Buy a box for her to stand on!

I always feel sorry for the old dears struggling to get stuff off the top shelves in supermarkets. Tesco should supply them with grabbers.

Reply to
Artic