electric showers

Hello,

I want to install an electric shower in a new en-suite in a garden annex. Can anyone recommend, or steer me away, from any makes/models?

Apart from the looks and any reputations, I presume I should be looking for maximum power (10.5 kW?)and a head with good shower force. But ability to withstand limescale will also count.

Cheers.

Chris

Reply to
cskrimshire

Well Mira have always been rated as one of the best.

How is the rest of the annex getting it's hot water and heating? It's just that electric showers are not the best of showers.

Reply to
ARW

No such thing as ability to stand lime. My neighbour has been through several in recent years and has now gone over to a hot tank and pump I believe.

Which makes me wonder, is limescale actually getting worse, I'm sure it has to be. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, electric showers are generally pretty poor.

But how are you going to get that much power over there? 10.5kW is about

45 amps, you'll need a lot of fat cable.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not round here it isn't (Manchester), but the supermarket shelves are still full of dishwasher salt, and descaling products, and as somebody commented here a few days ago, supermarkets don't stock things that don't sell, so I wonder who buys it?

Reply to
Graham.

Just put a few solar panels on the roof. Simples.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Shower force will depend on your mains water pressure. Installing a pump to boost the pressure is not a simple solution if the pressure is low, as you're not allowed to pump directly from the mains supply.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

IME mains pressure is the least likely problem with an electric shower . . .

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

In general you may be right, but it was a big problem with ours, particularly in the summer at certain times of day, when tourists were grabbing all the water first thing in the morning and late afternoon. We eventually scrapped the electric shower and also installed a pump.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Manchester City gets a lot of it's water from the Lake District (Thirlmere Reservoir) but not sure that all of (Greater) Manchester does.

Our water has improved, used to come from an adit in limestone up on the hillside about 1/2 a mile away, it was a bit hard but not excessive, nice pure white scale. Unlike St Albans which was hard and the kettle deposits were all manner of blues and greens... A few years back they laid in a new 6" main from Burnhope Reservoir our water is now soft and clean, just a very vaugue hint of peat, ie the kettle will take on a thin film of somthing brown after a year or so.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice