Wall warts seem to be taking over the world...

...or at least the area around my desk.
Having bought a new desk I decided to sort out the mare's nest of cables that had accumulated behind the old one over the years. I was amazed to find that I had 8 wall warts just for this relatively small area. This does not include the 7 chargers used elsewhere in the building for mobiles etc.
I really wanted to rationalise the various extension strips I have under the desk and arrange to put the sockets somewhere more accessible. The only options I can think of at the moment are either two 6 gang switched extension leads fastened to one end of the desk or four MK 3 gang switched socket outlets recessed into the end panel of the desk. At least these would cover current needs and allow for a couple of spare outlets.
--
rbel

What on earth is a wall wart?
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 18:38:45 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Yes.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On 2013-10-01, rbel <rbel> wrote:

I have 12-way Olsen strips screwed to the back of the (3) desks and 2 20-way ones screwed to the shelving unit that acts as a server rack in my study, for a grand total of 76 sockets. They aren't all in use. :o)
Keep an eye on eBay, they come up regularly, although the only one on there at present is this one;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olsen-PM-6-Gang-Socket-Power-Distribution-Unit-PDU-3-For-Sale13A-50HZ-240V-/331035122794?pt=UK_Computing_Power_Distribution_Units&hash=item4d133b1c6a
Olsen also have sales at regular intervals.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 55th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3179
“A preoccupation with the next world clearly shows an inability to

Thanks for the suggestion.
The Olson stuff is good quality and their site was the first place I checked but unfortunately the 'square' range do not come with individual switches per socket and the switched 6 gang strips are a bit too wide for the location I have in mind.
--
rbel

Top quality stuff, I buy nothing else for the server racks at work. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. The sequenced start ones are brilliant.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On 01/10/2013 18:10, rbel wrote:

I would be surprised if you were unusual in that. I can't get through the tangle of wires to count them, but I know I have 2 x 6 way and 1 x 4 way socket strips in use and the computers and monitors only take one of those sockets, to feed the UPS.

IME, no matter how many sockets you have, you will always need more.
Colin Bignell

So sockets are the same as beers?
Bill

Naah. I have enough.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 56th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3179
“A preoccupation with the next world clearly shows an inability to

They are the ideal way to start a fire. Especially the way some people use them. Some are outright dangerous. All sorts of fakes out there too.
On 02/10/2013 08:44, harryagain wrote:

They are not a problem if you know what you are doing though.
Colin Bignell

They are a problem. It have a switch to turn the lot off when not needed. Leaving them turned on is foolish.
On 03/10/2013 07:19, harryagain wrote:

Only if misused.

Mine are all of good manufacture, switched and protected by 5A fuses, both in the strip and in the plug feeding them. Not that much of what I have plugged in ought to be switched off at any time.
Colin Bignell

Five amps. Good for 1500W. You think you can't start a fire with 1500watts? Smoking used to be the main source of fires. Then it was chip pans/other cooking Now it's electrical wiring/flexes
On 03/10/2013 15:46, harryagain wrote:

The purpose of a fuse in a plug is to protect the flex. I am using a 5A fuse to protect a 13A rated flex. It isn't going to overheat.
Colin Bignell

Tch. Have you no idea at all? Over five amps of fault current can flow and start a fire before it blows. A fuse can't discriminate betwen what is a fault and what is not. There is no 100% protection of any sort against faults and even 10w can start a fire.
On 05/10/13 08:50, harryagain wrote:

oin what way is that a conradiction to what he said?

Wow. Your penetrating intellect continues to astound. WD40 has nothing on you, does it?

No! Really! even a match can start a fire harry!
I have come to the broad conclusion you are so thick that you cannot conceive of what intelligence is really like.

--
Ineptocracy

On 05/10/2013 08:50, harryagain wrote:

In the real world we deal with what is probable. A 1.5mm three core PVC flex is rated at 15 amps and will sustain a 50% overload for an hour. A 5 amp cartridge fuse will disconnect the circuit in 5 seconds at the flex continuous current rating and in 0.4 seconds at its one hour overload current. As I said, the flex is not going to overheat.
Colin Bignell
Horrible things for many reasons. The big heavy ones keep falling out the socket and the cheaper switch mode ones fail and also create rfi in huge amounts, so no radios will work anywhere near the place. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active