Wall warts seem to be taking over the world...

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

The wheels grind exceedingly slow, but there does seem to be progress being made.

argers/

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Tch. Have you no idea at all? Over five amps of fault current can flow and start a fire before it blows. A fuse can't discriminate betwen what is a fault and what is not. There is no 100% protection of any sort against faults and even 10w can start a fire.

Reply to
harryagain

oin what way is that a conradiction to what he said?

Wow. Your penetrating intellect continues to astound. WD40 has nothing on you, does it?

No! Really! even a match can start a fire harry!

I have come to the broad conclusion you are so thick that you cannot conceive of what intelligence is really like.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Saturday 05 October 2013 02:06 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It does seem to be converging micro-usb as mentioned in that link. The new Samsung phones seem to be sporting micro-usb-3 which is a weird socket:

But that contains a full micro-usb-regular socket and will charge from a regular lead.

I don't like the micro-usb socket though - in practice is is weak for something that gets knocked and picked up by the cable. I have lost one Samsung charger due to plug disintegration. It's also fiddly to insert as there's not much lead-in.

It is unnecessarily small - it could be a little thicker and a lot wider and still suit any modern slim phone.

The Apple connector (the old one anyone) was better, mechanically.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, but that's c*ck posted by a loon.

Reply to
Huge

In the real world we deal with what is probable. A 1.5mm three core PVC flex is rated at 15 amps and will sustain a 50% overload for an hour. A

5 amp cartridge fuse will disconnect the circuit in 5 seconds at the flex continuous current rating and in 0.4 seconds at its one hour overload current. As I said, the flex is not going to overheat.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My iPhone is fussy about what the USB cable is plugged into. Not every USB socket will charge it.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

On Wednesday 09 October 2013 07:15 Apellation Controlee wrote in uk.d-i-y:

As is any device needing lots of amps.

The USB spec says that beyond a nominal current, the device must actively negotiate with the host for more current.

This is of course impractical for a dumb charger, so Apple and others came up with a more passive signalling system taht involves putting a 3 resistor divider between the +ve and -ve supply and connecting DATA+ and DATA- to the intermediate points as a form of simple signalling that the supply could provide 1A.

I have no idea if this evolved into a standard across manufacturers (Samsung certainly do something similar) and how they differentiate a 1A from a 1.5A from a 2A charger (the 2A is starting to show up the choice of 5V as not a particularly great idea).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interesting - thanks.

Reply to