Electric Showers - Burning Smell

Hi I have a electric shower which is in our house since we bought it over two years ago. It has recently started to produce a burning smell when we use it. Does anybody know what could be the problem, and can we fix it?

Thanks in advance Aidan PS We have stopped using it!

Reply to
Aido in Ireland

The most likely scenario is that you have a loose terminal connection either in the shower or at the point it connects to the feed cable. This will result in a rise in the resistance of the connection which will generate heat (which will result in yet more resistance and yet more heat and ... well you get the picture). If you smell burning then chances are that is the insulation on something melting - all in all not desirable.

If you take the cover off the shower you may be able to see immediately where the problem is. If it is just at the input terminals, you may be able to effect a repair simply by disconnecting the cable[1] and cutting it back to sound insulation, cleaning any discolouration off the terminals, and then reconnecting - making sure the screws are done up tight.

If there is no visible scorching at the input terminals, but there is elsewhere, then that may be again be down to a loose connection but this time in the internal wiring, or it may be an indication that the boiler element is close to failure and is getting hotter than expected due to a thin spot on the element. Fixing these problems may be more difficult since it could necessitate replacement of internal wiring or replacing the boiler, or the switchgear etc.

Note that many of the branded shower makers do offer a call out adn repair service. If the problem is not obvious then that may work out the quickest and cheapest way to fix it.

[1] Turning the power off first obviously!
Reply to
John Rumm

Most likely without exeption the advice you would get from this site is.

Don't touch it.

Don't use it.

Consult an electrician.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Probably one of the little switches inside is worn out and overheating. If left it can only get worse, with the heat melting the pvc insulation on the wiring. Been there, seen that. :(

Switches can be replaced in situ, but it is a fiddly job. I find it easier to keep a complete spare, swap it in when required (a quick turnaround to keep the Boss happy), and then do any repairs at leisure on the bench.

The sheds often offer electric showers on sale and some faults don't seem worth the bother to source spares and repair.

Get someone in to do the job if you are not sure about what you are doing, especially the electrics.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Which ' site ' is that then, considering you are posting to a thread in uk.diy?

Dave

Reply to
gort