Venetian blind effect on monitor.

I've developed a fault on an LCD monitor which looks like vertical venetian blinds. The number of 'slats' changes with the resolution. Monitor or graphics card? Analogue drive.
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Probably the monitor - gfx cards fail, but far less frequently than the screens they're attached to.
I've had one gfx card fail* since 1993 (?) but i've had about 5 monitors.
* it had not been installed for about 4 years, but didn't work when I went to use it as a backup in another machine, so might have been damaged in the "bits crate" it was lashed in.

Funny, my experience has been the other way round: no monitor failures (not in this way anyway) but several cards giving this symptom!
I suppose there is no access to another monitor or card to check?
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Have you changed your display settings lately? This exact same effect can be achieved by setting your display resolution to something other than the LCD's native resolution.
--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental

Ah - coming clean, I'm experimenting with an RGB to VGA convertor. And its outputs are all at 60 Hz. Tried it on another monitor and it's fine.
--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Tony