Shortening blind chains

ISTR someone put forward a method for reducing the length of *chain* used on window blinds. (bead necklace type).

John Lewis have supplied cleats but the overlong chain would still be within reach and attractive to young children.

There doesn't seem to be a visible joint section.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There is usually one bead that is oval and actually comprises a metal shell that crimps round the two end beads of an unjoined length to make a loop.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

When I first read this, I was going to say chains don't have eyes in the first place, but that would be just silly. Are these the beaded things that engage in a mechanism at the top. Its my experience that if you want the full pull down of the blind, you cannot shorten them. The connector that is at the join is also the stop, so if there is less chain, it will only open or close part way according to which end you chop and reconnect. Would it not be simpler to simply hook it over a hook out of childrens reach when you adjust it?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can't for the life of me remember the details, but there most definitely

*is* a way of undoing and re-doing them. Some sort of connector link? Sorry - but am NOT going out the pissing down rain and darkness to the summer house to check! (Yes - they are JL inexpensive ones and fairly recent.)
Reply to
polygonum

In message , Brian Gaff writes

There is definitely no visible connector or end stop.

On close examination, each bead shows a join where the two halves of the sphere have been brought together. I hope there is not a Chinese girl with a miniature fly press whacking these together:-)

In the absence of knowledgeable advice I intend to form a hollow in a block of wood (I value my fingers) and prise one open with my trusty Swiss Army knife.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some do use connector blocks but often ...

That's the way I do it. When you open the sphere, you'll find a little dumbbell that joins them together. You can get special pliers to re-close the spheres, but it can be done with ordinary small pliers -- you'll have plenty of spheres to practice on.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

Ball chain joiner.

these won't pass through the drive mechanisium. It might not need to, I thought ball chains only adjusted the angle of the blinds slats (vertical or horizontal) so not much chain needs to pass through the mech. The actual opening/closeing (raising/lowering) was done by a much stronger string drive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These ones (if like ours, which I think they are) raise and lower the blinds. We wanted ours not to hang as low as they did - so removed a chunk. It was very, very easy - but as I said in my other response, I cannot remember the details.

Reply to
polygonum

that joins them together. You can get special pliers to re-close the spheres, but it can be done with ordinary small pliers -- you'll have plenty of spheres to practice on.

Anyone remember "poppet beads" from the 1950s?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

dumbbell that joins them together. You can get special pliers to re-close the spheres, but it can be done with ordinary small pliers -- you'll have plenty of spheres to practice on.

Those DIY pearl necklace kits in the dressing up box at Grandma's house?

No Frank, I don't remember those ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

I checked and found that, once shortened, any connector would need to pass over the drive sprocket:-(

Otherwise, just the job.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You don't say whether it is a roller blind or Venetian/vertical

On the roller blind there is a joint section. One of the "beads" is a tube instead of a sphere. The whole length of the chain is needed to work the roller. The join bead provides a stop to prevent overrun. It can't be shortened as the blind wouldn'tf ully open/close

One the Vertical/venetian blind the chain (that rotates the slats) is endless. But only a short length of it is in use so you can cut the chain and there is then no dangerous loop. You could fit a "bobble" of some sort on the ends so you can catch them more easily. The real danger arises from the string (which moves the slats) which is used full length and so can't be cut. The only thing you can do is shorten the loop so it is well out of reach. The ends of the string are located in the first part of the blind to move when you pull it.

Reply to
harry

They are actually *Roman* blinds where the chain drives a hexagonal horizontal rod which shortens tapes attached to the curtain. This causes the curtain to fold although still covering too much window in my opinion.

Triumph of sales/engineering over the two bits of string that the Romans used successfully:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A lot of blinds these days come with a sort of hook for the bottom loop of chain to run around, so there is no free loop for a kids head to get stuck in.

Are you concerned about the kids safety or do you just want to stop them fiddling?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Safety and appearance.

For an adult to use, these particular chains are too long.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You want to DIY some sort of motor drive then. ;-). How about those battery powered barbecue rotisserie motors?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+