Access door kits... do such things exist?

Hi All.

I have a dormer bedroom.

I'd like to use the eaves for storing Christmas decorations/lights etc.

I will be floorboarding out and insulating the eaves area and putting a light in.

Obviously I will put in an access door through the plasterboarded stud & partition wall at one end of the Eave area.

Now are there kits available with that has the frame and door or have I got to make my own frame and door?

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

You can buy loft access hatches ready made.

The Medway Handyman

I bought one from Screwfix, maybe even that very one. Not very well made and barely big enough so look out.

Reply to
harry

I would have thought it would be easy enough to make your own, using the existing vertical timbers for the sides.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

But isn't that a loft hatch to fit in the ceiling? Surely, the OP wants a vertical door from within the 'loft' space to access the eaves?

I don't know whether you can buy kits, but it's easy enough to make a frame out of some 6 x 1 timber, and then surround it with architrave.

I would be inclined to make the door itself out of blockboard - maybe with a slab of rigid foam glued to the back.

Reply to
Roger Mills