roof access - door or skylight?

When the roofers come to reslate my roof I want them to put in a door so i can get up there and clear out leaves without dangerous ladders...

Is there an openable skylight on sale somewhere or is it better to have a skylight to let in the light and a separate roof door to get through?

What types are recommended?

I will be insulating above the ceiling (not under the tiles) so skylights and doors dont have to be insulated..

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Means of escape Velux (or Velux-type) windows. They do a "heritage" model for about =A3250-300, side hinged. Other more expensive models are top hinged. Bear in mind both building regs and planning control.

Reply to
dom

Fakro do a couple of sizes of roof access windows - side hung fully opening.

auctions

I can confirm that it is perfectly possible to get through an ordinary Velux. I did so the other week.

I had a roofer round to try and diagnose some water penetration. He hadn't brought a ladder or scaffold, but cheerfully climbed through the Velux and wandered around the roof without any restraints. HSE would have had a fit ... if it hadn't been in Germany.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

The Loft Shop supply Colt roof windows, and they have three different sized MOE windows - top hung with gas struts

Reply to
John Rumm

on 11/06/2008, George (dicegeorge) supposed :

Velux do a centre pivoting window, upper half comes down and in, lower goes up and out of the opening. We have one and with the glass vertical it is just about possible to squeeze past it onto the roof, but it is made to just unclip so you can take it completely out for full access.

We used it just last week for roof access to install a new TV antenna on the chimney, with no ladder needed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But what are you going to then, clamber about on a tiled roof with no dangerous ladders?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Surely German HSE would have been even *more* likely to have a fit?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

no. i want to get into the 'valley' and clear the leaves which clog it without dangerous clambering...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

No, they would haff a fit instead.

Reply to