Cutting access doorway in drywall

Hi,

I need to gain access to a hidden toilet cistern by creating an opening thro a stud wall. The cistern is in an ensuite (in a loft conversion) and because of the layout etc the only feasable access would be via an adjoining stud wall shared with the bedroom. This is a stud wall with plasterboard that has been professionally skimmed.

My idea is to create the an opening between two studs and one noggin above so that the opening is framed by a rigid structure. That way I can hinge an access door off one of the studs.

My question is...... How can I get a reasonably neat edge to the plasterboard without having to fit a a metal trim bead and get a plasterer in to re-skim the edges?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Yvonne

Reply to
Yvonne

For a start, when you've worked out the position of the panel, score along its outline with a sharp Stanley knife which will give you a clean edge - all 4 edges of the hole do need to be backed by supporting timber (which I think is what you mean above). Then cut through the plasterboard with a plasterboard saw.

If you then smear some Polyfilla over the cut faces, then overpaint, that should make them reasonably firm. Or you could line the opening with a 'frame' of wood?

You don't say what are you making the actual door from, how big it will need to be, how often you are likely to be opening it, and whether you are worried about the door being as invisible as possible when not in use - all these will have affect the options for the door design. Let us know.

Also, a couple of possible solutions at Screwfix for consideration:

David

Reply to
Lobster

What a useful couple of items. I never spotted either - thanks for the link.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi David,

Sounds good- especially as I can now avoid getting a contractor in.

The idea is to make the access door big enough so that I can crawl inside into the void and replace the cistern. The hole will have supporting timber all round. There should be ample space between the studs. Also the first noggin is about 80cm above the floor level and so gives ample height.

I plan to make a door out of 18mm MDF and use quick release hinges - similar to kitchen cabinet types. The bedroom already has other similar doors to storage areas on the other walls such as below the dormer window.

The other big benefit is that can use this void as additional long-term storage - which is always scarce after one has done a loft conversion

Many thanks

Reply to
Yvonne