ebay annoyance

I was just about to bid on an item on ebay when they stopped me! 20 seconds to go, bid typed in, press the key and a voice and text message invites me to take place in an ebay survey as I've been 'selected'. Needless to say I couldn't place the bid in time.
Anyone else had this?
AWEM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 19:22:58 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

Did you complain to ebay?
--
Frank Erskine

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...

Well, at least it's a different nuisance.
Go to a website you've never seen before & within a second a survey box pops up - obscuring the web page - demanding to know how useful you have found their website.
--
Sam

Those are easy, you just use ad blockers and pop up blockers. I know some are annoying but really they should leve it till you have actually seen the thing, a lot slower for us blindies. I find life more bearable with ad blockers and pop up stoppers engaged. OK I'm not playing the game to keep the internet free, but its unusable otherwise.
With those surveys, you can minimize them you know. as for Ebay, I wonder if they have a bot on there watching who is watching which auctions and trying to discourage sniping?
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Sam Plusnet" < snipped-for-privacy@home.com> wrote in message
says...

I doubt it.
Ebay take their cut of the final price so, screwing up a late bid (or any bid) reduces their profits.
--
Sam

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 21:53:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"

I was wondering the same thing myself...
--
Frank Erskine

Maybe its some kind of warped sense of humour
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Frank Erskine" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
On 22/12/12 20:59, Sam Plusnet wrote:

adblock plus and flashblock.
Or simply abandon the site altogether.
--
Ineptocracy

The most recent one was
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk
Abandoning it might be against my best interests ATM.
--
Sam

The thing that most annoys me about Ebay, and Amazon for that matter, is the constant e-mails after I have bought something.
"You recently purchased a phone cover for Blackberry Bold through Ebay. Please click the link to rate the seller and rate the product. etc etc."
Why do I have to rate out of 5 everyone I buy from and every product!!?? What is there to say about a plastic phone case for a few quid. I saw it was cheaper that the local shop, paid for it, it arrived, it fitted.

Didn't you look at their ratings before you used them? That's only there because people did rate them.

I bought a genuine Nokia earpice and mic via Amazon. It arrived and was a fake product which didn't work, but cost so little I couldn't be bothered to return it.
However, the request to rate the seller was duely taken up, and may have stopped someone else wasting their time.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:34:39 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I treat Amazon and Ebay as two different animals. In my opinion, Ebay is an auction club and sale room and rating sellers and being rated is part of the club responsibility. I do it all the time.
On the other hand, Amazon is a commercial entity who are selling things directly to me. I don't write reviews or rate high street shops or mark them out of ten and I don't see why I should treat Amazon any differently.
Nick

even though a vast %age of ebay is commercial sellers?
Jim K
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:58:41 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

But at least with eBay you know you are dealing with a seller of some description and not Ebay. Also you can find real world information about eBay sellers.
On Amazon you have to look fairly closely to see if you a dealing with Amazon alone, a seller but "full filled by Amazon" or a seller "directly". Also on Amazon it's very difficult, if not impossible, to find any real world information about a seller.
--
Cheers
Dave.

writes:

There are numerous amateur booksellers selling through Amazon Marketplace. While I've been lucky with eBay and never had to leave negative feedback I've had to mark down Amazon marketplace sellers on a number of occasions. Faulty descriptions, inadequate packing etc. Not bad enough to merit a refund but too amateurish to let pass without comment. One advantage of Amazon is you're less restricted in the number of words you can use so you can be very specific. A lot of electronics\optical\camera accs suppliers on Amazon Marketplace, all of whom I've found satisfactory, are relatively small, and indistinguishable from eBay sellers. In fact they're often the same people. But good service merits good feedback on either site IMO where there's often lots of competition.
michael adams
On Dec 23, 4:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Because on Ebay anything less than 5 stars is a negative against the seller.
Find about 40% of people never leave any feedback at all, of the remaining ones that do, unsuprisingly the ones who want to moan are the most vocal.
As little as three 1 star ratings, no matter positive , and happy customers who didn`t bother leaving feedback, will move your listings to the bottom of search and decimate sales.

Feedback ceased to have any real meaning to buyers on ebay sometime ago, only actually look it up on Toolhaus.org if its below 98% with a low total.

Amazon dosent play with search levels etc for listings, it allows plenty of space for honest feedback but can again suffer from happy customers who got the goods they expected in a timely manner don`t see it as 5 star service worth leaving feedback about.
Fact that ebays search dosen`t work properly at best of times probably accounts for Amazons share price being a multiple of ebays.
Ebay bought TV adverts, Amazon had loads of free plugs masquerading as `news` items from their distribution centres,
Ebay forgets who actually pays them, sellers.
Cheers Adam

writes:

The share price relativity is actually determined much more by the number of shares on issue.
The market cap ratio is a lot closer than the share price.

Didn`t realise that , thanks.
Ebay used to be the masters of free publicity, when QXL was going bust buying poster hoardings leading to a broken site ebay was in the papers with 8 year old buys Picasso for 17 million dollars on ebay, human organs for sale, souls in a jar etc for sale on ebay.
Saw Amazon at least twice with local TV news reporting from Dunfermiline depot, with the ebay TV adverts inbetween.
Ebay as a venue for clearing personal items at auction is not so much a practical proposition much nowadays. Days of starting everything at 99p and letting them find their own price long gone.
Value in ebay is really in Paypal and Gumtree, ebay as an online selling forum for anyone but massive volume trade sellers is getting made difficult.
Amazon and Play are encouraging smaller vendors on to their marketplace.
Thanks for tolerating the rant.
Not sure where is gong to be replacement for the online fleamarket, or its back to the carboot for actual sales
Want a completely different view of ebay ;-)
http://www.aspkin.com/forums /
Cheers Adam

In message

And for fencing other peoples personal items........
I do wonder just what proportion of kit on Ebay is stolen, there seem to be a large number of radios, my speciality, that the description is just too vague to be believable. I have found one or two sales that I had sold professionally to customers and passed on the Ebay listing to them. One local bus company was selling off a mobile radio a while back, although they didn't know it! I even bought some of our hire equipment back from a guy, although in the end the trail was too long and obscure to figure out who had stolen it in the first place.
--
Bill
( A different one )

I've been using it to buy and sell secondhand stuff in a small way since not long after it started here. Can't say I'd noticed any real difference.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?