Vertical blind problem

I have vertical slatted blinds across two separate sets of patio doors; the blinds were made to measure just over a year ago and seem to be of good quality.
One of them has developed a fault in the mechanism which draws the slats sideways (as opposed to the one which rotates them): though the slats move very smoothly in one direction, in the other they are extremely difficult to shift, to the point of sometimes jamming completely.
The online repair instructions I've found all suggest that the fault is with the leading top block, the first one of the bits that slide along the rail. But the videos are all so badly made and so poorly narrated that I'm having trouble following them.
I have discovered that the block seems to have more rotational slackness than the others: if when it gets stuck I move it gently on its vertical axis I can often free the movement, even if only for a few inches.
This end block is also the only one which has a screw on one vertical face: for tensioning, maybe? But adjusting it appears to make no difference.
I'm going to ring the supplier on Monday but wondered if anyone here had any preliminary thoughts as to what might be wrong and how to fix it. If it is that end block, can it simply be replaced?
Many thanks.
On 30/06/2018 21:18, Bert Coules wrote:

I sprayed lubricant on a difficult curtain track. Worked a treat. I can't remember what I used, but nothing oily. Possibly Teflon?
On 30/06/2018 22:06, GB wrote:

Found it. Silicon Spray.
On 30/06/2018 22:16, GB wrote:

Sigh. Silicone.
This stuff can go very sticky after a time and needs to be cleaned off and re applied. Its normally dry heat that does this. I'm not an expert on vertical blinds, but in this case the issue sounds more like either premature wear or poorly fitting parts. Brian
--
----- --
GB wrote:

Thanks for the thought but my impression is that this isn't a problem of friction. But I shall try it.
On 30/06/2018 22:53, Bert Coules wrote:

I was going to suggest lubrication as well, but it sounds to me as though you may have identified a genuine mechanical issue.
On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 22:06:58 +0100, GB wrote:

I find difficult tracks respond just to - well - being cleaned. Furniture polish works, but not because it's slippery - other stuff works too. Isopropyl alcohol works too!

So why aren't you making them fix it ?

Rod Speed wrote:

I didn't say I wasn't. I *did* say that I'll be speaking to them on Monday.
I think this is his intention but if its just an adjust mint then it might be a simple fix. The worry is without understanding the issue, they can fix it and another year down the line off we go again. Brian
--
----- --

Yeah, certainly easier to do it yourself if say its just a squirt of the appropriate lubricant or something and that lasts for years like it has with the other poster.

But they might have just forgotten to spray that one themselves given it works fine one way.

I'm pretty certain that it's not a lack-of-lubricant issue. The dead stop, when it happens, is an abrupt halt, not an increasing-resistance petering out of movement.
I'm not sure exactly how these blinds function but there's a curious runner, unlike any of the others and not attached to a slat, which appears to be playing a part in the problem. I just tried to upload a picture to my website but discovered that my FTP program doesn't seem to be working any more.

Yeah, very likely. How does that compare with the other one that still works fine ?

Very easy to use dropbox on your phone instead.
Rod Speed wrote:

In appearance and slideability it seems to be identical. The only difference I can see is that in the problematic blind this individual runner always comes to rest (when the blinds are fully opened) in the exact centre of the runner, whereas in the other it's very slightly off-centre.

I don't use a phone for the internet, but I do have a Dropbox account; thanks for the thought. Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjmsadg2zl4xkhr/Blind%20runner.jpg?dl=0
But I'm not sure that the image is very informative.

But presumably do for the photos.

Yeah, the description in your first para is more useful.
Rod Speed wrote:

Ah, I see your point. Yes, and then I have to transfer the pics to my desktop PC to take them any further.
I have to admit that the mechanism for these blinds has me stumped. And that odd-one-out runner makes no sense to me at all.

I just get the link out of the tooltray icon on Win7. You can get that on the phone but the hashed ID is a bit messy to manually transcribe into the post so I prefer to cut and past that on the desktop that I use to usenet.

Presumably that runner is either damaged or different to the one that works fine, or maybe the channel is where it gets stuck.