Vertical blind problem

I have vertical slatted blinds across two separate sets of patio doors; the blinds were made to measure just over a year ago and seem to be of good quality.

One of them has developed a fault in the mechanism which draws the slats sideways (as opposed to the one which rotates them): though the slats move very smoothly in one direction, in the other they are extremely difficult to shift, to the point of sometimes jamming completely.

The online repair instructions I've found all suggest that the fault is with the leading top block, the first one of the bits that slide along the rail. But the videos are all so badly made and so poorly narrated that I'm having trouble following them.

I have discovered that the block seems to have more rotational slackness than the others: if when it gets stuck I move it gently on its vertical axis I can often free the movement, even if only for a few inches.

This end block is also the only one which has a screw on one vertical face: for tensioning, maybe? But adjusting it appears to make no difference.

I'm going to ring the supplier on Monday but wondered if anyone here had any preliminary thoughts as to what might be wrong and how to fix it. If it is that end block, can it simply be replaced?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I sprayed lubricant on a difficult curtain track. Worked a treat. I can't remember what I used, but nothing oily. Possibly Teflon?

Reply to
GB

Found it. Silicon Spray.

Reply to
GB

Sigh. Silicone.

Reply to
GB

Thanks for the thought but my impression is that this isn't a problem of friction. But I shall try it.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I find difficult tracks respond just to - well - being cleaned. Furniture polish works, but not because it's slippery - other stuff works too. Isopropyl alcohol works too!

Reply to
Bob Eager

This stuff can go very sticky after a time and needs to be cleaned off and re applied. Its normally dry heat that does this. I'm not an expert on vertical blinds, but in this case the issue sounds more like either premature wear or poorly fitting parts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm pretty certain that it's not a lack-of-lubricant issue. The dead stop, when it happens, is an abrupt halt, not an increasing-resistance petering out of movement.

I'm not sure exactly how these blinds function but there's a curious runner, unlike any of the others and not attached to a slat, which appears to be playing a part in the problem. I just tried to upload a picture to my website but discovered that my FTP program doesn't seem to be working any more.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I was going to suggest lubrication as well, but it sounds to me as though you may have identified a genuine mechanical issue.

Reply to
newshound