Paint! Really dangerous stuff if taken on the bus. (2023 Update)

Bought a tub of emulsion paint yesterday from the local DIY store and went to get the bus home but was refused travel by the jobs-worth driver because 'you're not allowed to get on a bus if you are carrying paint'.

I got off and boarded the next bus a minute later with no comment at all from the driver.

I'm no spring chicken and have seen a LOT of summers so I certainly don't fit the public image of a typical graffiti merchant - and anyway it wasn't an aerosol spray can.

What did the first driver think I was going to do - redecorate the bus?

The world's gone mad!

Reply to
David Chapman

Presumably he thought you might put the tub on the seat next to you, and knowing his own driving, the tub would risk falling off the seat and the lid coming off.

Reply to
Tim Streater

paint is dangerous stuff. An overheated can might explode.

Reply to
charles

I think you will find it is a fairly common part of the conditions of carriage that anything that might cause damage or injury to persons or property can be refused. Paragraph 12.5 of East Yorkshire Motor Services' conditions lists as examples of prohibited items 'at the driver's discretion' tins of paint, cans of fuel, cycles and unboxed televisions.

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Next time suggest the OP puts it in a bag so it is not recognisable.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I once got told by a jobsworth that I wasnt allowed to take a bus gearbox on my trolley down the escalators at Kings cross tube,

I gave way and scarpered quick before they thought of stopping me taking it back along the Hammersmith line! The trolley was just too wide to get down the escalator, and the people below looked like skittles! [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Gib Bogle

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

done in a studio.

Reply to
F Murtz

Apparently it's an ad for Microsoft VoIP phones.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

He probably drives like a maniac and expected it to get spilt by the G forces of his stopping starting and weaving between the traffic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Richard

When I were nobbut a yoof I used to race motorcycle sidecars .. and had a first floor flat with electric underfloor heating. I also happened to keep a racing Suzuki GSX1000 engine in my bathroom ... Which would have been fine if the reason the engine wasn't in the outfit was a cracked crankcase and subsequent oil leakage ...

Some council jobsworth had a mini-fit when he found out ... ;)

The smoke when the heating was turned on had to be beheld to understand his point!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I suppose that's marginally better than coal.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
Newshound

Gha. You give the working classes a house with a bath.... ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Yes. But not intentionally. There's a danger of the pot going flying and losing its lid. Results are not something bus companies want to deal with.

Had a friend who put a tin in his boot, forgot it was there for a few days and found everything in there went magnolia...

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Any unboxed television or specifically CRT? What about a computer monitor? What about an LCD computer monitor. What, essentially, is the difference between one of those and an iPad. I see lots of people with iPads on the bus.

Reply to
Andrew May

The conditions of carriage are as stated. It is up to the driver to interpret what they mean or even to ignore the restriction, as it is imposed entirely at the driver's discretion.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar
[Snip]

In the early days I went to a major exhibition in Montreux by car. At the time, the Swiss only allowed the import of half a litre of spirits, I didn't suffer, but many people had to pour away at the roadside half the bottle they'd bought on the ferry.

Reply to
charles