Door planing woes!

Aaaaaaagh!!!!!!

OK, long story short, had to refit a door at my parents place which appeared to be binding in the corner at the top, so wouldn't fully close.

However, it looks like I took too much off in the corner and now looks noticeably uneven at the top.

Any suggestions how to level it off, or is it a case of cutting more off the other side to try and even it up?

One things for certain, I would make a good carpenter... cry!!!!

Reply to
Simon T

I can't plane but prefer to clamp something straight and long enough to the door and run a circular saw along it.

Reply to
R D S

Was it binding on the frame head or the hanging or slamming jamb?

Oops - easily done.

Let me know the answer to the first question, and I may be able to help.

You're not the first Simon. I once walked into our son's house to find him ready to wield a plane to ease a sticking door and manged to stop him just in time.

The problem was that the hinges had been set too deep into the frame (hingebound) and a doorstop just touching the door - a quick lesson of his dad (a very carpenter) soon had the hinges sorted ( a couple of pieces of card as packing) and the doorstop adjusted - while the lazy beggar stood and watched me, and then had the cheek to ask me to sort four other doors out.

CAsh

Reply to
Cash

Forgive the typo's above, having a bad day with the connection between brain and fingers - old age is a bloody pain in the rump!

Reply to
Cash

Straighten the door. Fit planed stripwood into the frame at the top.

Never adjust the legs on a table... might end up as one of those low height coffee tables you trip over.

If the door is not engineered timber it will tend to cup, twist etc.

Reply to
js.b1

That is actually what I attempted to do, but something went wrong.

Reply to
Simon T

Right, it was top corner on the slamming side of the door.

Short story long, had to plane a bit off the bottom as it was binding on the new carpet. THAT part worked fine, but was then catching at the top (slamming side of the door).

Tried altering the hinges/screws, same problem, even though fitted OK at the top before.

As the top was all uneven anyway, decided best course of action, level it all off with a circular saw, but something went very wrong in the problem corner and now I've taken too much off, so it looks lop sided at the top.

(does any of that make sense?)

Reply to
Simon T

Nah - more like a wooden floor tile that wobbles!

Reply to
PeterC

The trick is to cut one of the legs off. Three legged tables never wobble.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ