Desktop PC problems.

Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date.
Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet connection. Couldn't get into the 'Network' section to try fault finding, so re-booted. And now only shows the BIOS start up picture. Won't even go into BIOS setup - although it says it is trying.
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Disconnect all disks, usb peripherals, take out the RAM, make sure a speaker/piezo is attached to the motherboard - do you get a pattern of beeps? Search for that pattern combined with the motherboard model. Do you have a POST-card?
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Presume you would have noticed stalled fans or fluffed-up heat sinks at that point?

There's a procedure to follow before pronouncing the last rites - disconnect everything, reset RAM, reset CMOS settings.
On 28/08/2017 11:07, GB wrote:

Reset RAM - I mean take it out and push it back in again.
Also check the bios battery. AMD chipsets tend not to like this battery being dead I have a feeling. Brian
--
----- -

Many older motherboards have a lithium coin cell battery fitted in a battery holder. If this is the case check the battery first.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

That doesn’t normally produce that symptom when its gone flat.
Normally all you see is the clock loses time when its turned off.

probably depends on the age of the machine, In the 1990s machines in our office wouldn't start if the battery was dead.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 28/08/17 12:05, charles wrote:

Yes. seen all sorts of behviours.
But frankly, if its a old MB (>7years) I'd spend a couple of hundred on a newer MB and more RAM.
But then I dont have to worry that linux won't work on a new MB
M$ means having to reinstall and sometiems te old license wont work.
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:13:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Then may I suggest you haven't tried it on that many. I have a mate who ran a PC shop for 16 years so I have / did.

Not had one yet but then I know what I'm doing with an OS that most of the hardware you buy was 'designed for'. ;-)
When I have tried Linux on new hardware and it doesn't work I'm told off by the Linux Geeks for not checking beforehand that the hardware I have chosen (when I rarely 'choose it' as such, it's just what seems to do most of what I want at the best price break and of course, supports Windows) is 'Linux compatible' (whatever that's supposed to mean ... apart from the tail wagging the dog).
Then why I try it on some older hardware (because 'Linux is good for that sort of thing') and it doesn't work, I'm told it's my fault again for trying Linux on older hardware. ;-(
In general though, I'd agree, that most DE's on most Linux distros work mostly on most not too old, not too new hardware and you can often even way with transplanting a Linux system from one machine to another (by moving the hard drive over).
For most who aren't just using their PC's as web terminals or typewriters or who don't have loads of time, interest, patience or need to try to get anything outside the std Office apps working, it can be a bit of an uphill struggle (if not impossible), especially in this Windows centric world. ;-(
And what when it goes wrong, who can you take it to? I've been dabbling (and using as 'an alternative OS') Linux for many years now and *still* don't know anyone in person who knows more about it than I do (and I know (or care for that matter), little about what goes on under the hood, just like the vast majority of PC users in fact).
Cheers, T i m
p.s. I'm looking at a really old laptop for a friend and whilst Vista won't boot (there is a graphics ram fault), Linux does (in software rendering so s l o w) so I could leave Linux on there for them, even dual boot so they can still get to their docs etc. Except I know they wouldn't want it or use it (because what they *need* is the likes of iTunes etc) and would rather go out and buy a new laptop that of course, comes with Windows.

I doubt it.

Never saw that with much older stuff than that.
More just bad design with those IMO.

What they said... also if it has an internal USB card reader fitted, try disconnecting that before rebooting. I have seen those stop a machine booting too many times!
--
Cheers,

John.

Never mind an internal one - my external USB card reader stops my machine from booting if it's plugged in.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 21st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 28/08/17 12:30, Huge wrote:

I had an old MB that took over a minute to get past the BIOS when a logitech webcam was plugged in.
Itd ethernet went faulty as well, so I got this shiny new MP, RAM and an SSD for a couple of hundred. Case is the same, still has its original XP home license from its original owner on it from 10 years ago...
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
On 10:49 28 Aug 2017, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Blown capacitors on the motherboard?
On 28/08/2017 12:32, pamela wrote:

Or maybe PSU.
--
Michael Chare

Could be. What is the motherboard and when was it manufactured?
The thing is its going to be almost anything. I do feel though that if its powered up as far as the bios its not going to be the processor. My feeling is cables most of the time. Brian
--
----- -
On 17:03 28 Aug 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

The PC seems to freeze just after it the BIOS puts up the logo but, as Dave omits it, not as far as the BIOS's POST.
Sounds like it could be a hardware fault. Perhaps the motherboard itself although someone mentioned it could be the PSU.