Windows phone: call over WiFi?

My sister-in-law is visiting me. She has a Windows phone (Nokia Denim model RM-1017). It is connected to my home WiFi network. But I can't work out if and if so how I can call or send SMS messages? (I can do this easily with iPhone and Android.)

My sister-in-laws contract does not allow roaming; she lives in the UK, and I am in Ireland.

I looked quickly on the web for a solution, but all I found were apps to do this. Does she really need to install an app?

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The iphone and android both use apps, they come pre-installed on some phones but not all.

Skype would work but may not be free.

Reply to
dennis

If you look on the Nokia website, you will find the user manual.

Reply to
charles

Not really enough information to know how her phone implements these wi-fi calls. For example, my Android phone has an app called CSipSimple which is set up to make my phone an extension of my home phone system, so even if I am abroad with no phone network service, I can stand outside a McDonalds and make &receive calls just as if I was in front of my "house phone"

Then of course there is the ubiquitous Skype, that can call normal phones and have a Skype-In number for people to call you from a normal phone. Not a route I have explored beyond Skype-Skype, Too expensive IMHO.

Reply to
Graham.

That's interesting; I'll look into it.

I found in the end that my sister-in-law's phone is suffering from what seems a quite common fault with Nokia's Lumia phones, when attempts to make calls or send SMS's brings up a No Service message, despite the fact that there is an internet connection. I'm reasonably sure the phone won't work when she gets back to Manchester, and will have to be sent back to here ISP, TalkTalk.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

In message , at

16:57:54 on Fri, 28 Aug 2015, dennis@home.?.invalid remarked:

Not quite - wifi calling facilities are built into the firmware of later iPhones, but not all networks use it. EE does, but "Three" needs a separate app.

I'd recommend WhatsApp for the OP's situation.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I would hate to have my number and contact details in your address book.

I cannot recommend WhatsApp unless ALL your contacts agree to having their contact details being uploaded into their database.

Reply to
Fredxxx

In message , at 12:41:03 on Sun, 30 Aug

2015, Fredxxx remarked:

My address book only has three family members and the network's top-up number in it.

Reply to
Roland Perry