New Cordless drill

Got a lot of plasterboard to put up soon and after found while reboarding the bathroom with a 12v £30 that it didnt cut the mustard batt life and power wise.So was toying with the idea of getting a proper drywall gun but am thinking that a fairly decent drill driver will be of more use generally

Current contenders in the £100ish drill drivers stake are

Makita 6227 dewalt dw927 Bosch gsr14.4 Metabo BST12 Impuls

And the dark horse that might make a late charge the Ryobi 14.4 drill angle drill pack If i could find some fuller specs

All much of a muchness re price and torque and battery size though the dewalt and makita come with 3 batts rather than 2 for the others.

Looking up batteries ( Lawsons)I found that for the same price as the bosch replacement 14.4V 1.4 Ah you can get a 12v NiMh 3Ah dewalt one Are Bosch drills easier on their batts or is there a bigger demand for dewalt ones? The Makita ones are arround the same price as dewalt for the basic 1.3Ah

So if anyone else has any of these tools would be interested in knowing things like how do the battery chargers treat the batteries, battery life etc. What are the service centres like and the price of spare parts, little things like that that could swing the balance

Thanks in advance

Steve

Reply to
steve

I have the 14.4v Makita and would recommend it. Torque and speed control are excellent.

Before I had a Senco collated screwdriver, I used the Makita for driving screws in some flooring and with three batteries was easily able to keep going all day. Actually, two would almost have done it. Mine is the slightly older 1.8Ah battery version and I think the 2.6 probably would have.

The battery charger operates intelligently, charges in an hour as it says and does not overheat the batteries.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I ended up with the cheap Makita from screwfix 9.6 v £80.00 2 batteries and half hour charge

I have never regretted this for a moment especially when a friend who had been listening to certain people came around and said he had bought a cheap 14,4 v drill cause the maskitas are a waste of money but that it would not drive screws properly. Mine will drive a 3 * 10 twinthread into pine with no pilot hole... Superb

Muy the Mak and you will never regret it IHMO

HTH Phil

Reply to
Phil

I agree BUT if you really have lots of plasterboard to put up borrow/rent/beg/steal a colleted driver for the job because it makes it MUCH easier and faster

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks