Keyless chuck drills

Just got my first keyless chuck drill and I am having problems......bought a new bosch 550 wired drill to replace my old black and decker and Stanley drills and a 20mm masonry drill to open up the holes in a teracotta airbrick.....anyway got the bit tightened and started drilling on the hammer settings and after a few seconds the drill fell out and rolled down the roof to the ground......this can't be normal... am I doing something wrong?....instructions just say tighten until clicks are heard......doesn't matter how tight I make it the drill still falls out....any ideas ? ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

It may be defective or it may be operator error:

If the chuck touches anything whilst rotating, it can open it. Make sure it doesn't.

You may not be tightening it enough.

Reply to
GB

Never come across with one that makes clicks. I am not particularly keen on them, but if you really can't get it to grip however tight you do it then it sounds like it is faulty. You are taking care to centre the drill as you tighten it, I assume? If you start with it wide it is sometimes possible to get it to grip on two jaws only, in which case it will come out when you use it.

On my Makita cordless you need to set the gearbox speed to slow to get it properly tight; on high speed you can make the motor turn backwards.

Or is this one where there is a second collar on the chuck, so that you grip both when tightening.

Reply to
newshound

yes

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

The better ones have a ratcheting type of action that engages as you tighten them.

Many Makita have an auto locking spindle to allow the chuck to be tightened single handed. (these are chucks without the second section of barrel)

Yup, that type does not grip as well IME.

Reply to
John Rumm

One of my drills has a little button on the side that makes it rotate the opposite way. More than once I have pressed tthis accidentally.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Bosch say it's only for masonry drills upto 10mm. It's actually a pathetic little toy. Not even SDS! You need to spend a lot more.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I'm cheap ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

went out and bought one with a chuck key .......all this modern s**te never works .....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Replace the terracotta airbrick with plastic. Terracotta is likely to to have less than 40% of holes, plastic will have around 95%.

Why are you opening up the holes to 20mm? It sounds like way too big and if near ground level easy access for rodents.

alan_m

If you're going to drill anything reasonably hard with a 20mm masonry bit I don't think this will work with any hammer drill, unless perhaps you start at

8mm and use every even size to progressively enlarge the hole. It is worth investing in a seat of cheap SDS masonry bis and a cheap SDS drill if you are going to need that size hole more than a few times. They have both in cheap no-name versions on Ebay and perhaps Amazon.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

on 17/02/2021, newshound supposed :

I find I can get them tighter, by gripping the chuck and squeezing the trigger - starting with the chuck slightly loose on the drill bit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Sounds very crude. My cheap and cheerful Lidl one has an auto lock. No idea how it works, since like most cordless drills it reverses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It's looking that way ....but now have all the coax terminated in pl259's through now.....that bloody terraccota is very hard ....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

to get more pl259 terminated rg58 coax runs into the loft....with the coax in the holes the wasps shouldn't get through....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

You didn't lock it.

How to Keep Drill Bits from Coming OUT!!! (LOCKING THE CHUCK)

Adrian Caspersz

sorry not RG-58 but the thick stuff RG-8 coax ....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

and my cheapness aften leads to failure....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

must try that...thanks

Reply to