What adhesive for mounting a large map?

I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer (probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify it and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper stuck-down wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of planning so what adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?

Reply to
nothanks

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Photo mount aerosol?

Reply to
JohnP

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

JohnP

Wallpaper paste. Wallpaper brush.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Last time I did that I used wallpaper paste. Making sure of course that I let it soak in, and taking care not to stretch it. Have you checked though whether you can get a suitable "sandwich" type with polycarbonate, hardboard, and a few clips.

Reply to
newshound

I'd ruled-out wallpaper paste because of the stretch risk, and also because I don't know how well it would adhere to MR MDF. What did you use as a backing?

Reply to
nothanks

spray mount

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd ruled-out regular spray mount because I didn't think it would be permanent, but 3M photo mount (that hadn't appeared in the searches) looks like it could be the stuff I need - permanent, slow-drying and solvent-based so it shouldn't cause the paper to stretch or damage the dyes.

Reply to
nothanks

the regular stuff isn't permanent, but it looks like photo mount will do the job

Reply to
nothanks

Maybe get it into position and wrinkle free with the re-positionable stuff first?

Reply to
Andy Burns

and probably the "re-positionable" version...

Reply to
John Rumm

Photographic spray on glue - expensive but good. You will need to practice on some scrap to get the technique right even so.

The repositionable one is more forgiving but doesn't stick as well - unless you are experienced in doing this sort of thing I'd recommend that you use it. The trick is to put it down along a diagonal corner to corner and then work out from the centre with a soft cloth.

The contact adhesive version sticks more strongly but it is very definitely a once it touches down you are stuck with it there.

Might be worth looking for a commercial clip on frame that size and then you would get the benefit of glass covering the original image as well.

Reply to
Martin Brown

beware that SprayMount is hydroscopic. If you use it in a damp atmosphere the paper becomes un-stuck

Reply to
charles

On 17/02/2021 16:15, Martin Brown wrote: <snip>

*not* cheap but with the proper glass brings the benefit of some protection from UV fading
Reply to
Robin

I've done three maps on walls. They were 1:50,000 OS and stretched from Hull to Liverpool. Advice: Cut the maps into manageable pieces. Apply the wallpaper paste to the map sections and leave it for a while until it's soaked in. This lets the paper stretch which is what you want. If the paper dries out a bit add a little bit more glue -- but sparingly. Mark a grid on the wall, faintly. Plan it so that the maps over-run the planned edges, then trim or fit a border. Start in the middle. Accept that the maps might stretch unevenly and go slightly diamond shaped, by about 0.5%. After the maps have dried thoroughly, paint with matt clear varnish.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Wall paper paste.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

MDF. It works

try it out on something other than your map

Does it matter if it shrinks 1%?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The plan was to mount it on a board (or in a frame) that would then be hung, rather than pasting it directly on the wall - but I suppose that might be an answer

Reply to
nothanks

The map is 1000x1410mm - close to 40x60", which I think is a standard poster size. Clip-on frames seem to stop at A0 (841x1189mm) so I considered making my own but the materials cost was surprising. Hence the plan to stick it onto something and create a frame. I did consider snap frames £60+, and also some concern about the thin plastic cover flopping away from the centre of such a large area.

Reply to
nothanks

Yes I realise but I could only tell you of my own experience in case you could use any of my suggestions.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright