Mounting a map to go on the wall

Just bought some nice big maps (some from OS and one from Lidl) and went to a picture framer to ask how much it would be to have one framed and/or mounted.

Three figure quote later I am reconsidering my position!

Someone who used to have a picture framing business suggested that one option would be to glue the map to some hardboard then varnish it. Nicely DIY :-)

So - any recommendations about glues?

Wallpaper paste is one obvious route.

However when they mount pictures on a card backing they put a sheet of glue fabric between the picture and the card, then put it into a heated press.

DIY version might be to smooth it gently with a warm iron if I can get a suitable glue sheet.

I will be consulting my friend Google but any advice gleaned from real world experience would be most welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I have a number of similar things to these (corporate propaganda from the old office), sat in the workshop stacks and awaiting recycling. They were made by sandwiching 2mm layers of clear rigid plastic (PVC, by the look of it) with 2mm rigid white PVC. There's no glue, sealing or framing involved, just half-a-dozen metal screw clamps around the edge, which were also used for their suspension wires.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Years ago I did a lot of photographic film processing and mounting of photos as a hobby. The photos were mounted onto card using a thin heat sensitive film which was heated with a domestic iron. So I'd suggest making enquiries at a photographic supplier.

Reply to
Nige Danton

Some tailoring glued wadding / interface might do the job.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Something like this?

Andrew May

Found this:

doesn't seem to give a figure for coverage.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I have just been making some Icons (Orthodox Church, not Windows). I used 3M Photo mount in an aerosol - mine is 15 years old - but e.g.

it works a treat for paper to plywood.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

In article , David WE Roberts writes

You don't need much, just a light spray. I've used the other 3M product Spraymount which stays repositional but I've found it fine for long term holding. No problem with wrinkling, just smooth out by hand while applying, remove and reposition if it goes wrong. Not sure how the adhesive would respond to solvents in any varnish overcoat though.

Reply to
fred

The blue 3M Spraymount allows repositioning and tends to come unstuck after a few years. The red 3M Spraymount does not allow repositioning but gives a permanent fix.

You need to go to a craft or art supplies shop for the red stuff, whereas the blue stuff is far more widely available.

Back to the maps; I would use red Spraymount to stick them to foamboard. That's a rigid plastic board that is widely used for this exact purpose in exhibitions and displays.

It is available from good art shops.

Reply to
Bruce

You can get poster frames for under a tenner usually - backing board plus large acrylic sheet that clips in front of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

BTW we used some of that, probably equally old, 3M in a spray can recently and it stuck some white styrofoam to plywood like the dickens. Why not experiment with that on something not critical. But getting paper etc. on smoothly first time will probably be critical?

Reply to
terry

Cheapo DIY version ist use small binder clips. Also availabe in silver...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

what about 3M Spray Mount ... made exactly for the job of mounting photos etc onto card.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have some parchments .. that I would like to fix with just a glass in front, no frame a.. and about 2" of clear galss boreder all round.

..... any ideas on neat clips to do this ... mirror fixings no good a they show through the glass

The shop that had them on display used fols back clips .... but they look tatty.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , Rick Hughes writes

Metallised foil border ?