Mounting A Ripstrate

I have a Ripstrate, a safety device which is mounted to the table saw fence. It has a pair of spring loaded rubber rollers which pushes the stock against the fence and a pawl which prevents kickback. Its essentially a pantagraph mechanism. My fence is the "Unifence" (3-1/2" high). At that height the rollers do not extend down to the table. The manual which came with the tool says it can be used with the Unifence or the Biesemeyer. But the manufacturer has since gone out of business.

Has anyone got the Ripstrate mounted to a Delta Unifence and can pass along the way to do it? Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

1) Have you tried using the low profile side of the Unifence extrusion?

2) You can always make a wooden spacer fence that accepts the Ripstrake mounting and then bolts to the Unifence from some plywood.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I didn't try the low profile side because there was no proper support for the auxiliary fence. I drilled 5 holes through the tall side and used dry wall screws to fasten a straight piece of 2" by 4" to the aluminum. The Ripstrate device is wide enough that part of it extends past the auxiliary fence and over the unifence. Its an old design created when most wood workers were probably using Delta's pipe style fence. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Is this the one with the black wheels and a metal bar that jams them if they try to rotate backward?

I have one of those, and when properly adjusted it isn't supposed to touch the table. You put a piece of stock of the thickness you plan to rip under the wheels, then loosen the big allen bolt to allow the wheels to hit the stock. Then you rotate the sleeve with the allen bolt a little farther in the same direction to provide a little extra tension. If you do it right, when there is no wood underneath, the rollers will only be about 1/8 or less below the top of the board.

I probably have the instructions around somewhere, since, according to SWMBO, I keep every $#@% thing. If you need them, email me.

HTH,

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@nopam.hotmail.com

(omit nospam)

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Yes, thats the one, black wheels with the bar between them that jambs to prevent kickback. I also have the manual and it says for the Unifence & the Bies contact the manufacturer for additional info. I did, and found that they were no longer in business. I thought someone in the NG might have had those supplementary instructions.

As you suggest I used the socket screw and lever to adjust the spring tension as far down as it would travel. But it wouldn't get tight to the stock because the arms are not long enough. The height of the Unifence causes the device to ride too high to operate correctly. Joe G

Paul,

Reply to
GROVER

Reply to
Dave W

replying to GROVER, George Harakaly wrote: Regarding the ripstrate location along the fence. Should it be behind the blade? Should it be positioned so the center of the ripstrate is opposite the center of the blade?

Reply to
George Harakaly

GROVER wrote: "and it says for the Unifence & the Bies contact the manufacturer for additional info. I did, and found that they were no longer in business. "

Mmm-hmmm!

That's typically what happens to a business that creates a solution to a problem that didn't exist in the first place. :O

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Theckmah (dumbfuck @ shortbus.edu):

Operation of potentially dangerous equipment by dumbfuck morons is a problem that really exists; especially at your house, lefty. KFHSF. FCKWAFA!

Reply to
None