Hybrid Table Saw

I've been looking into getting a new table saw to replace our aging Craftsman contractor style saw. I'm limited to 110v so the top of the line for me is most likely a hybrid saw. I'm leaning towards the Delta

36-717B (Biesemeyer fence). The one concern I have with this saw is that the motor trunions are table mounted versus cabinet mounted. From what I've read, the table mounted option is more difficult to adjust - I'm just not sure how much more difficult.

I've also looked at the Steel City saws, which offer cabinet mounted trunions. The Steel City saws are now coming with the granite tops - and the models I've looked at do not have T-slot type miter slots. That and the general 'newness' of granite tables makes me a bit leary of the Steel City.

Does anyone have any experience with the Delta saw? How big an issue is the table mounted trunions? Any other concerns I should consider?

Reply to
Mike

I have the Delta 36-750, a similar but earlier model. I have been completely satisfied with it. Adjustment was without difficulty. It has not needed re-adjustment since I bought it approx. 15 years ago.

Max

Reply to
Max

Reply to
TD Driver

Is granite a good saw surface? I sometimes am a bit clumsy and drop things. Seems like a granite surface could get chipped.

Reply to
scritch

I would not have a tablesaw with a granite top. Unless you are very careful, in a few years you will have enough chips in it to make you regret it. I have never used a granite top saw but have used surface plates for years. It chips very easly.

Reply to
CW

Steel City puts a 10 year warranty on the granite top - that would ease my mind as far as chipping goes. The big drawback with the granite top for me is that the miter slots do not have the t-slots that accept the washer on the bottom of the miter bar. Also, the throat plate is on the thin side and rectangular - I believe that the Delta saw uses a standard sized, oval plate - much easier/cheaper to find dado/zero clearance inserts.

Reply to
Mike

Darned granite! It's just the latest 'sexy' gimick to come down the pike. As for guarantees, you can bet that the bean counters are all over the details and the one that sticks out is the chipping of the surface. It's probably not covered for chips - only for fractures. In five years you won't be able to find a saw still using this material. As for the table mounted trunnion my Ridgid 3650 is made that way and it uses a short levered cam to help to move the one end during adjustment. I've only had to do it once in 5 years and it was quite easy. Ridgid has also gone with the granite top- sheesh!!!

Reply to
C & E

Granite is cheap. It /is/ a sexy gimmick, IMHO. I don't think chips would impede the table's usefulness. What I don't like, is that magnetic fingerboards don't work.

BTW, I own a Delta hybrid 2 HP...with a General Biesemeier clone. I'm very happy.

Reply to
Robatoy

The model of my saw is 36-653C. It needs a link-belt as the one that is on it is lumpy.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think all this granite is a result of China getting into the granite surface business. I bought a granite surface plate a couple of years ago. $20, including shipping!!!!

I agree with you, this granite fad is not cast in stone, and will pass as more and more slips result in chips.

Reply to
scritch

I have the 35-714 which appears to be the steel topped version of the same saw. Though I'm new to woodworking and haven't used it much, I've been pleased with it so far.

D.

Reply to
Derek Lyons

Yeah, I bet that 10 year warrnaty does not cover abuse. Most all warranties rule out abuse. Dropping something on it and breaking it would be considered abuse.

The big drawback with the granite top for me is that the miter slots do not have the t-slots that accept the washer on the bottom of the miter bar. Also, the throat plate is on the thin side and rectangular - I believe that the Delta saw uses a standard sized, oval plate - much easier/cheaper to find dado/zero clearance inserts.

I have never used the t-slots so that would not be a problem for me, I have removed or not installed the washer on the accessories that use the washer in the slot. For me it creates more problems that it solves.3

Make your own throat plates, in batches. I use 1/2" Baltic Birch.

Reply to
Leon

Just a comment on "Delta saw uses a standard sized, oval plate": There are actually quite a few different sizes, that look about the same because they are the same oval shape. The new Delta takes pride in how much wider the opening is, to make it easier to change the blade. Within a given manufaturer they have not always been interchangeable between models. I wanted to get an insert like Norm uses, with the interchangeable small wooden inserts in an aluminum piece, and found they were no longer made for my old Powermatic 63, so I had to crank up the milling machine and make one. So don't assume because they are oval they are interchangeable! Bob Wilson

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson

On Mar 12, 5:33=A0pm, Mike wrote, in part:

I have the Steel City granite-topped 3 hp hybrid... has the t slots, nervous about destroying them. Haven't removed the washers from my miter gauges yet tho.

Chipped the edge of the throat plate opening (minor). Much more careful now! Cannot use magnetic feather boards, but no rust.

So far, so good!

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy