Re-belting an Orion Hybrid TS

The Orion Hybrid table saws (Craftsman, Steel City, Delta) come with a ribbed belt/pulley drive. My Steel City 3 HP Hybrid is a great saw excepting that it squeals for a split second when started. Steel City says this is normal. I have re-seated the belt several times to make sure its fitting all the groves on the pulleys. I'm wondering if anyone has re-belted their Orion saw to correct this? I am thinking a double machined pulley on arbor and motor with 1/2" link belts might stop the slipping belt problem. Any thoughts?

Reply to
bookman

I replaced my belt with one of those link belt things and could not be happier with the results. I am a real cheapskate and hate to spend $$ on much of anything, but this was a bargain at teh retail price and shipping.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

If you are talking about the serpentine style belt that is used in the automotive industry the squeal is in fact normal. Back in the early 80's the Oldsmobile's with diesel engines equipped with this belt did the same thing. A bulletin was quick to follow with the explanation that during start up and shut down the engine begins to turn and stop with such sudden force that the belt will slip. Most all 220 volt 3 hp electric motors also start and come up to speed quickly as witnessed by the typical split second thud/bang that many cabinet saws equipped with 3 belts display. Because these motors do start up so quickly the serpentine style belt will tend to slip and squeal during start up. IMHO save your money and just come to appreciate the fact that your motor has plenty of power. Switching to a belt that does not slip may in fact in introduce the thud/bang noise. Pick your poison. ;~)

Reply to
Leon