What Exactly IS a "Hybrid" table saw?

I see every manufacturer is coming out with "Hybrid" tablesaws. Is this just a contractor saw with a closed base? Do you align it by whacking the trunnions (like a contractor saw) or by adjusting the table (like a cabinet saw)? Is there an advantage to the owning one of these?

-jj

Reply to
JJ

I did this once and my damned mouse twitched, so let's try again.

The hybrid table saw offers some advantages, and one disadvantage, in relation to contractor's saw. Make that two disadvantages: it also costs more. It is heavier and hard to move. Otherwise, the hybrid has 1-1/2 to

1-3/4 HP, usually, an enclosed motor, and at least a partially enclosed base (the Craftsman models include one that has a completely enclosed base, but the first hybrid, the DeWalt, still offers only a half enclosed base, as does the Jet). The top is adjusted like that on a cabinet saw, not like that on a contractor's saw. This combines with the slightly smaller footprint and the greater weight to be major advantages. And yes, I do remember that I noted above that the heavier weight is a disadvantage in relation to contractor's saws. Think about it for a bit.

The enclosed or partially enclosed base means the saw MUST have a TEFC motor, but it also means that dust collection can be a lot more efficient than it is on any contractor's saw.

I've got the Craftsman top of the line, and am very satisfied with it. The Biesemeyer fence helps a great deal. I'm told that most of the people who worked on the Craftsman design used to work for Delta, and the saw shows it. Even the Unisaw table insert fits.

If you decide to get one, compare features carefully, because where there used to be one, there are about seven at this time.

Reply to
Charles Self

If it is enclosed like a cabinet saw, and the top adjusts like a cabinet saw, then why isn't it a cabinet saw; albeit one with a small motor?

I assumed (without actually verifying my assumptions) that they are enclosed like cabinet saw, but have trunnions like a contractors saw.

Reply to
Toller

Probably an Orion design. A handful of the best from Delta who did not want to relocate when the Company was consolidated with PC.

Does yours have a Contractor mechanical design (trunion/tiebar carriage assembly attached to the table)? Do all the hybrids or are there design differences?

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Because it has a contractor saw trunnion. And not all Hybrids adjust the top like the cabinet saw. I only know of the Craftsman that has a cabinet mounted trunnion. The Delta has a top mounted trunnion like a contractors saw. Not sure about the others.

You really should check out

forums. This same subject gets beat to death every 6 months or so on that site. Should be lots of info there. Especially the Delta vs. Craftsman debate.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

You are correct, sir. The Craftsman hybrids are made by Orion.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

There are design differences. A couple of the magazines have had articles on hybrids--Workbench, I know--but I think even down the Craftsman line there are differences of more than cabinet skirting and fences.

Reply to
Charles Self

Daniel H

Daniel H

The DeWalt has table mounted trunnions as well. I have one and I rather like it. Granted I bought it used and in need of fence rails. I put a Biesemeyer commercial with the 50" rip capacity on it and it made one fine saw. Of course, were I buying new, I would get the Grizzly cabinet saw for pretty much the same money.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

Grizzly is now also offering a hybrid saw.

Reply to
TBone

The DeWalt, at least, does NOT adjust the top like a true cabinet saw. The trunnions are hung from the top, and to adjust the top-to-blade relationship, you must loosen the bolts and whack the trunnion.

Reply to
gw

Charles,

What is the model number of your Craftsman hybrid? Is it a OR35504? I have a chance to pick up a slightly used one (offered for $750). It has the extended warranty still on it through Jan, 2010. If he yakes $700, would this be a good deal?

-jj

Reply to
JJ

Does anyone have any information (other than what's in their catalog/site) on this saw? I was considering one of their contractors saws but this looks interesting. I don't look forward to moving a cabinet saw into the basement (and out even less) so wasn't really considering one, but ~300lbs _might_ work.

Reply to
Keith Williams

I don't know what the model number is: it is, or was, the top of the line model when it came out, and has the Biesemeyer fence. I don't think the line has changed, but this AT&T set up makes it difficult to check. I'll try.

Yes, that's the correct model number. Much depends on the condition, but for one in excellent shape with the extended warranty, I'd say $700 is a fair price.

It's a good saw, more than enough for 99.7% of hobbyists need, unless they get into cutting a lot of 8/4 and up oak, maple and hickory. The Leitz blade it comes with is good, too.

Reply to
Charles Self

There are 3 models in the line. The low end one that I have (sells for around $550) is Sears model number 22104 and Orion model number 35506.

The middle of the range model with the same guts as mine but a fancier fence and miter gauge and cast iron rather than stamped steel wings (sells for around $650) is Sears model number 22114 and Orion model number 35505.

The top of the line model with more horsepower, Beis fence, etc., (sells for around $1000) which I believe is the one Charlie has, is Sears model number

22124 and Orion model number 35504.

So, offhand, I'd say if you can get it for $700 you'll probably be doing alright.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon