DIY servicing a motorised roller door (garage)

Hi -

We have a motorised roller-door like one of them 'ere :

It doesn't open or close smoothly, needs the remote button repressing or holding down throughout the process. I think it's detecting obstruction or resistance and auto-stopping, but the light on the control panel flashes away with every colour of the rainbow.

I want to clean and lubricate the mechanism and then check the operation of the automated function - little magnets on the side of the door probably provide limit signals for the motor, maybe they're out of alignment or something.

Anyhow, the SWS site is useless for technical info - I need a manual or a service guide before I start pulling it to bits. Does anyone have such a thing, or an idea where I might be able to obtain one?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Steve Walker

There should be a magnet operated device on the right hand side (from rear) of the door. Two magnets are on the frame near top and bottom. There is a battery in the part screwed to the door. It may need changing. (Mine hasn't yet in about 2 years.)

The limit switches are integral with the roller.

Have you tried operating the door fully in each direction with the buttons? That may reset things. If it is a seceuroglide I may be able to dig out the appropriate instructions if no-one else can easily.

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

My seceuroglide has a photo cell which stops the motor in the event of an obstruction. Why this also stops it in the *open* direction, I have yet to understand.

Spiders seem to find the send/receive lens an ideal place for their webs:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Steve Walker formulated the question :

I don't know if yours might be the same as mine, certainly the actual door part is....

Mine has a control box/remote receiver combined light unit. The unit just sends a 240v supply to the door, to make it go up or down. The motor is what is known as a tubular one, in the centre of the door roll. The motor includes limit stops for top and bottom, you just tweak the up and down screws to set the point where it should stop on the way up or down. The control unit also includes a time limit function, in that it limits the run time of the motor. This is set to just allow enough time for the door to run to fully closed or fully open - after which it cuts off the motor supply.

The control box has extra connections available for optional things like a wired up/down/stop buttons and various safety sensors. I fitted an IR beam sensor across the door at a level to suit my cars tow ball, to prove I had gone far enough forward to clear the door. As it was delivered these were suitably linked out. So I suppose you could link them out to help diagnose what the cause of the problem is - but I would suggest you check whether it needs to be linked or open first.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks me9 -

I hadn't realised there was a battery in that little grey box but you're right, and I now notice that the LED on the front of it doesn't illuminate anymore. So, off to ebay for 4x CR2016 cells, and we'll see if that makes any difference.

It *is* a seceuroglide, so if you were able to scan the instructions and stick 'em online or email them that would be fantastic. I'd like to try resetting the system, but not sure how to do this without risking losing settings like the keyfob rolling code and ending up worse than I started!

Reply to
Steve Walker