Garage Door Opener Thinks There's A Blockage

My Stanley Model D1000, Date Code 96176, starts down from either the remote or the door pushbutton in the garage, but then reverses with the blinking light code. This happens whether the obstruction sensor wires are connecte d or not. The door will go down and stay down if I hold the manual pushbut ton doorbell type switch until the door reaches the bottom. If I release t he pushbutton anywhere in the travel except the full bottom, the door does its reversal routine.

My gut reaction is that one of the control relays on the printed wiring boa rd has a stuck contact. I beat on the relays with the power off and then r econnected the power. It seemed like the door was ok for one period of tra vel during which it closed about half-way, but then it went into the obstru ction mode again and reversed with the flashing light. The printed wiring board is marked 3528, BM01, date code 9615.

The Stanley help center/parts seller is closed until tomorrow when I will p rice a replacement printed wiring board. Anyone have ideas for anything to try in the interim???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Have you cranked up the "down force" adjustment?

Try the door without the opener attached to be sure there is no bind in the operation. If it was the optical sensor, holding the button would not over ride it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, If you are sure the relay is suspect, you can just replace it. Does not have to be exact fit. You can wire(solder in) same spec. relay. You may have to remove the PCB to do this.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'd unhook the emergency release and check how freely the door travels and make sure it's adjusted properly. Then I'd check the sensors, and gears in the drive housing. I had to replace a capacitor in one of my sensors a long time ago. No big deal, or you can just buy some replacement sensors if that's the problem. I also had to replace the gears in one of my garage door openers. You can get any of the parts on ebay... I see the circuit boards new and used 60 bucks new 22.50 used. Lots of youtube videos on garage door and garage door opener repair. Big warning! be careful when you mess with garage door springs. I've still got all my fingers but a garage door roller almost got a couple of them when the door got away from me while adjusting a spring.

Reply to
Home is where I hang my hat

remote or the door pushbutton in the garage, but then reverses with the blinking light code. ...

Are you certain the code corresponds to the visual sensors or is it the force-reverser? Sounds more like the latter but there should be a different code for each...

Reply to
dpb

I took a good look at everything associated with the door. It travels freel y up and down and is well-balanced, up vs down force. But, I noted several parts look pretty badly worn, and for $138 + tax I can get a new Chamberla in opener and my wife will be happy knowing she has a brand-new opener. I' ll keep some of the parts and the motor as backups for the identical opener that operates my garage door (We have two separate garages, attached to ea ch other with a doorway between the two units).

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

The photocell receiver and light source seem to be fine, the indicator light on the receiver is lit and goes out when something blocks the line of sight between the source and the receiver.

I just bought a Chamberlain unit at Home Despot and my son is coming over tomorrow morning and we will put the new opener in service. My wife is happy because she is getting a new opener, and that makes life so much better.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi Bob. I had a similar problem with my Chamberlain a few months ago. I changed the down force just a little, and it was ok after that. As I recall, mine has a emergency mode where you can hold the button on the wired controller and it will close, even though it thinks there is a blockage ... don't know if the Stanley has this feature.

Reply to
Art Todesco