Which Company Makes Quality Tools

Some of the tools that i've bought in the past didn't last very long. The tips would get bent or get grooves in them. Basically tools became useless very quickly. They were no name brand, made in outer mongolia kind of products. So my question is which company makes good, long lasting, quality tools. It's perfectly OK if I have to pay premium. The tools I'm looking to buy are the kinds I would need in an emergency around a city appartment. So, hammer, screwdriver set, pliers, long-nose pliers etc. What else would you say I need?

thanx

Reply to
asdf

For hand tools, Craftsman, Mac, Snap On are a few good brands.

You need an adjustable wrench, probably a small and a medium size for most household repairs. Utility knife, small saw, putty knife

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I know a lot of people don't like Craftsman ... but they DO guarantee their tools. My father had a craftsman wrench that broke and so he took it back to Sears and asked for a free replacement.

The "kid" working at the counter looked at this sorry wrench my father brought in which was clearly older than the kid himself. He said, "I can't replace this. It's old and broken."

My father said, "If it wasn't broken, I wouldn't want it replaced!"

Well, they argued for a while and then an older manager came by to see what was going on. He looked at the wrench, saw that it was a Craftsman wrench, and told the young clerk "Replace it, free."

The kid couldn't believe his ears! He started arguing with the manager! LOL

Anyway, Dad said that twice in his life, he had a craftsman tool break and got them replaced as per their guarantee. Not bad, huh?

Jack

Edw>>Some of the tools that i've bought in the past didn't last very long.

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

For the non-mechanic, Craftsman (non-electric) hand tools are probably the best bang-for-the-buck. Crap. (I once ran across the manufacturer of Craftsman hand tools, and was surprised that they manufacturer several different brands, but I can't remember who it was. I do remember that I'd never heard of the company)

With power-tools, (both air and electric powertools) it quickly becomes a hit or miss proposition. Some are good, some aren't. I have a couple of twenty-plus year old Craftsman router that still work as well as my more modern Bosch. But, I wouldn't consider a modern Craftsman router.

I have a very old Craftsman 1/2" drill. Both the trigger and the cord have been replaced at least once. But that brute is still unmatched when it comes heavy duty drilling.

If I happened to be an auto mechanic (or similar tradesman), I'd probably go for Snap-on. Most plumbers swear by Rigid, and it's a rare professional electrician that doesn't have a couple of Klein tools in his pouch. But those tools are considerably MORE expensive, so the discussion is really revolving around "value" rather than quality.

I have several different Craftsman pneumatic staplers/nailers that have proved to be perfectly adequate for my light duty, home workshop environment, but I would probably opt for a higher priced name brand if I was using them in a production shop environment.

So...it all depends...

James...

Just recently, my SIL borrowed my 35 year old torque wrench, only to discover it was no longer functioning. He did have to discuss the replacement briefly since the wrench was older than he was, and Sears no longer carried that model. That new high-dollar wrench is sure a beauty.

Reply to
Amused

Talk about a tough question...

I have a mixed bag of everything in my shop. On my work trucks there are just about every major brand there.

In my mind, you have to find one of two of the good power tools some manufacturer makes by asking around. For years I haven't felt comfortable just replacing a tool with a brand loyal product. Most recently I have quit buying DeWalt altoghether, although at one time they were great.

The only manufacturers now that I have consistently good luck with are Bosch and Milwaulkee. But with the recent ownership change by Milwaulkee that may change in the near future.

For non tailed hand tools, I am there with the Craftsman crowd.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I inherited a wooden box full of pipe wrenches, threader, etc. from my FIL. I was giving them a cleaning (read lick and a promise) and came across a hacksaw on the bottom of the box. Broken handle, useless blade. I was about to toss it when I noticed a "C" on the bow. A bit of rubbing revealed the magic word: Craftsman. Put it in a bag and the next time I was near Sears, took it in. The clerk looked at it, his eyebrows moving into his receding hairline, and allowed that this was an old-timer. He disappeared and then reappeared with a shiny new hacksaw. With a fresh bag to boot. :-) mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

You need to make perfectly clear that the replacement guaratee is for HAND TOOL ONLY. IMNSHO, Craftsman *hand* tools are decent; *most* of their power tools are, typical consumer-oriented junk.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Probably Danaher.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I have a very old set of Craftsman hand tools including ratchets, sockets and open/box end wrenches. Good tools and good guarantee. I backed the truck over one of the 1/2" ratchet handles a few years ago and actually broke it. Took it back to the store and the clerk handed me a new one.

With that said, Master Mechanic tools carry the same lifetime guarantee on sockets, screwdrivers and similar hand tools. In some cases they cost about

1/2 the cost of similar Craftsman tools. True Value sells Master Mechanic.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I would suggest a Estwing Hammer. I got one that works great for driving nails all day. Long handle and large head, weighs a lot, not sure of the ounces. The only bad thing I can say about Estwing is that they ring when driving nails. Does not bother me, but some people are sensitive to the sound.

Reply to
vdubbs

I had an old (20+ years) steel carpenters square (with rafter tables) that had gotten warped and I couldn't get it fixed to lay straight. I took it back and their current steel square didn't have the rafter tables. So they gave me a solid brass one that did!

I agree that their power stuff is chancy. And I'm not impressed with most of the hand woodworking tools (chisels, files, planes, etc.). But for hand mechanics tools they're hard to beat.

I did note the last time I bought a Craftsman garden pruner, the text said that the free replacement didn't apply to the blade part. I don't know if they're reducing the warranty on other tools as well or not.

Reply to
lgb

I meant specifically hand tools not powered by electricity.

thank you so much for replying.

What about Stanley tools. I keep seeing them everywhere.

Reply to
asdf

I have never been let down by Veritas.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

As I recall, the offer is made to the original customer. Forget New Orleans: it seems there are quite enough looters on the Wreck.

sheesh

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

1/2" breaker bar about 20" long. I'm standing & bouncing on the end of it trying to free a 1 or 1 1/8" nut on a trailer ball(had it turned sideways in the receiver on the truck). About 4 bounces(any of you who've seen my likeness on ABPW will realize I'm a fair-sized li'l feller) & I'm standing on the ground wondering WTF? It peeled the 1/2" drive off in a spiral pattern. Back to Sears, came home with a new one.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

For screwdrivers, pliers, and electrician's tools, Klein is a good choice. You can find Klein tools at Sears, Home Despot, etc. Knipex is also good for pliers. Lindstrom makes very good (and very expensive) pliers for delicate work, such as electronic repair or jewelry. Wiha makes good jeweler's screwdrivers.

For hammers: Vaughan. The Vaughan Superbar pry bar is also very handy.

Measuring tools: Craftsman tape measure (seems to be a lot more durable than Stanley). Stabila levels. General 6" steel pocket rule. Swanson speed square. Starrett combination square. Brown & Sharpe dial caliper. Johnson drywall square.

Craftsman wrenches aren't bad. Snap-On wrenches are top notch, but very expensive.

Nicholson files are good. Pferd, Simonds, and Grobet are also good, but not as easy to find.

Reply to
Steve

I inherited one from my grandfather in similar condition. sears gave me a replacement, though it is shorter than the one it replaced.

Reply to
bridger

While we're on the topic of hand-tools like wrenches, screwdrivers, etc (as opposed to handplanes and chisels)......

Can anyone give me some insight into the differences between NAPA Professional Series tools verus Snap-On? A quick glance tells me the Snap-On is 30% higher. Wil I get 30% more performance?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

No.

Reply to
CW

Napa Professional tools are made by Danaher, the same company that makes Crapsman. Yes, they make them to Napa's exceeding specs (ie. use the same internals, but change the housing slightly and write Napa on it instead of Crapsman).

Reply to
AL